Install Boost Gauge & Pyro Volvo 06’ D12

Cotreker

Where on the intake manifold do I find the place to tap into the vacuum for boost gauge?

Where does the Pryor probe need to be installed.  Does it need to welded with bung?

What brands are favorites?  Where to purchase?

Lastly where on dash are you mounting gauges?

Thanks, if this topic is already posted could not find.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

I don't have a Volvo but, I did install a pyro and boost gauge in my truck.

"Most" engines have a plug on the elbow at the head for a boost gauge.     The exhaust housing on the turbo should have a plug as well?     The thermocouple should be on the cold side of the turbo to prevent damage if the probe fails.    

If either of the locations have to be pierced a tap should be all that is needed to install the sensor.     Drilling the exhaust housing after the turbine is not an issue.     Drilling the intake elbow should be done with the elbow open and a rag beyond the area to keep swarf from entering the engine.  

Don't know the Volvo dash but, the gauges should be in an area within the normal scan of instruments.    I found getting the sensor wires/tubing into the cab the most daunting part of the job.    The most direct path may not be the best or even pracitical way in to the cab.    

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

8 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I don't have a Volvo but, I did install a pyro and boost gauge in my truck.

"Most" engines have a plug on the elbow at the head for a boost gauge.     The exhaust housing on the turbo should have a plug as well?     The thermocouple should be on the cold side of the turbo to prevent damage if the probe fails.    

If either of the locations have to be pierced a tap should be all that is needed to install the sensor.     Drilling the exhaust housing after the turbine is not an issue.     Drilling the intake elbow should be done with the elbow open and a rag beyond the area to keep swarf from entering the engine.  

Don't know the Volvo dash but, the gauges should be in an area within the normal scan of instruments.    I found getting the sensor wires/tubing into the cab the most daunting part of the job.    The most direct path may not be the best or even pracitical way in to the cab.    

👍

I'm a work'n on it.

• 2 weeks later...