Strange Factory Wiring...Yikes!

rbertalotto

Here's one for you...While doing some solar work on my friends brand new $50,000 Winnebago trailer I found these three Auto Reset circuit breakers mounted on the side of the frame rail. Can't believe how bad this is. 24" of #4 wire with no protection at the battery. Two 30a CBs tied together with a piece of copper strap that feed through another 30a CB. One wire (Green) that is connected to CB2 input, but because CB2 gets its feed through CB1, it is protected by CB1...(I labeled "no protection", but it is protected by CB1).....I have no idea what any of the three wires connected to CB2 or CB3 are feeding. Spent hours trying to figure it out. There is no current flowing through them with a clamp amp meter no matter what we turn on in the camper. All these wires are only 12g.......Comments?

2v2ekNFCyxeRUw.jpg

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

It could be a breaker for charge power from the tow vehicle. Also maybe a protect for the electric brakes

Edited by Ranger Smith

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

We started the truck to see if it connected to 7 pin...No Joy

We pulled the emergency brake with these wires disconnected and let truck roll forward.....The trailer brakes applied within one foot of movement.....

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

www.rvbprecision.com

8 minutes ago, rbertalotto said:

Comments?

Mornin rb, WOW !!!!   I will offer a few general FYI comments I believe are still accurate:

1) The purpose of a Circuit Breaker IS TO PROTECT THE WIRE CONNECTED TO IT by limiting current flow to match the wires rated ampacity........Loads such as a motor or other electrical appliances/devices often have THEIR OWN internal thermal overload protection, but such DOES NOT protect the wiring FROM the source TO the load.........

2) A 30 Amp breaker would typically be used to protect wire rated for 30 Amps NOT wire rated for only 20 Amps.. NOTE HOWEVER the ampacity of single conductors in free air IS MUCH GREATER than if it were enclosed in a jacket or conduit etc. 

3) The location of a breaker in order to protect the wire IS AT THE ENERGY SOURCE. If the breaker is placed later downstream THE WIRE FROM SOURCE TO BREAKER IS NOT PROTECTED. 

4) When I install charge wires from for example the tow vehicles battery to the RV battery I INSTALL BREAKERS RIGHT ON EACH BATTERY.

I have NO IDEA what or where the wires you found are fed from or what loads they serve or if they are properly protected somewhere ??, so I cant comment on that, but the above are basic protection guidelines as I best recall...

John T

John T....I couldn't agree with you more! Those two 30a breakers, tied together , was deliberate. Some worker didn't accidently grab a 60a breaker by accident. They went to the trouble to tie them together, then used a 60a breaker to protect 12g wire!!!!!...

That 24" of 4G being totally unprotected until it reaches the CB is so very dangerous......CB and FUSES belong directly at the beginning of the lead....In this case it should be right at the battery. I'm going to install a properly rated FUSE right at the battery. 

YES, CBs and fuses protect wires, not connected devices.

Thanks for the post....

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

www.rvbprecision.com

On 9/1/2023 at 7:27 AM, rbertalotto said:

Comments?

I have just one. Things like this are why you can't ever get an accurate wiring diagram for an RV, if you can get one at all. I firmly believe the wiring all depends on the mood and whims of whomever is wiring something on a given day and subject to change from day to day.

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

11 hours ago, Customer1 said:

Circuit breakers like that are often for slides and leveling systems/stabilizers.

I can agree with that. However, of course as I'm sure you well know, any wiring FROM the source TO those breaker inputs REQUIRES OVERCURRENT PROTECTION and I cant know from here if or how that was taken care of. I always considered Airstream a reputable company, its hard to imagine they would put an unsafe product out the door ??

John T 

Apparently CB2 and 3 are fed from CB1, and since the outputs are separate feeding separate loads, CB2 and 3 are not acting as a 60 amp breaker, but as individual 30 amp breakers. I agree that protecting a 30 amp breaker feed with a 30 amp breaker is a bit strange though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Use a tone generator wire tracer to find the routing and destination of each wire.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961