Volvo Limp Mode

bigredhdt

Depends.  Usually around 15 mph if I recall and usually just enough time to get you off the interstate, maybe to next exit.  The whole concept is to keep from tearing up your engine.  If it can’t communicate it thinks worse case scenario.  Now low coolant sensor will shut you down completely in about 10 seconds.  If that pops up, get off the road immediately.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

• 2 weeks later...

Dealer traced back to the ecm, despite them telling me these were on a long backorder wait list, it arrived the day after approving the quote.

The service advisor told me that the truck was in 95% power reduction limp mode.  Which equated to ver rough, low rpm idle.  It would move at about 1mph which was great because it needed to move to get it in a place for the tow truck.

Thinking back maybe I had some telltale signs.  Intermittent tcm j1939 communication errors, intermittent low oil alarms and intermittent outside air temp readings. 

Based on the drive home, the downshifts seem crisper.  Idle seems better and throttle response seems better than before it went into limp mode.

Another happy ending!!!   Good to hear it was fairly simple, though not likely cheap.

BTW, thanks for stopping back and letting us know the outcome.  So often, someone starts a thread, gets suggestions, and never lets us know how it turned out.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

30 minutes ago, bigredhdt said:

I have heard others with the oil wicking issue, so I wanted to ask this question.   I opened up the oil level sensor and there is oil in the connector.  Do I need to change the sensor or just get the anti wicking jumper or both?

Two unrelated problems. If the connector on the oil pressure sensor is wet with oil, it's likely the sensor is on it's way out. If the passthroughs haven't been changed, change them. They're due.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 4 weeks later...