New FT puchase pending. Timing and Resarch Tips?

Here are 'beginners' packing lists.  Full-timers will add more.

https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv-checklists-printable/#safety

Some things you may be taking that you have to count in your cargo weight:

liquids - fresh water, waste water, hot water tank, propane - 8.3lb./gal

computers

printer

water hose(s)

sewer hose/connections

electric cords

tools - hand and power

flag pole/wind sock holder

Outdoor chairs 2-4, folding table, patio carpet

BBQ grill & possible extra propane tank

spare tire

spare vehicle fluids/parts

bikes/bike rack/parts

hobbies including fishing, golf, square dancing, boating (kayak/inflatable), tennis, pickleball (special clothes & equipment), books

luggage - if you fly anywhere

backpacks

generator

solar panels

cooler

vacuum

small electric heater

ladder

vehicle washing supplies

cleaning/laundry supplies

washer/dryer

televisions

groceries including extra drinks (beer, pop, wine)

Pet supplies and food

cookware, dishes, silverware, utensils, casseroles

small appliances - coffee pot, toaster, air fryer, crockpot, hand mixer, etc.

files

toiletries, first aid, medicines, hair dryer, curling iron

bedding for all weather

shoes, hiking boots, tennis, rain boots

clothes for all seasons

...... and for motorhomes need to figure in weight of passengers & fuel

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Just to add to the obvious, I have a truck camper and loaded for camping I am about 2000# over the manufacturers wet weight.  With a 5er, you can easily be many thousands of pounds over the phony, manufacturer's specs.  First it seems that the manufacturers dp not include several hundred pounds of common accessories.  For me, those include the awnings and an upgraded, larger overhang to accommodate a queen sized bed and two solar panels.  They also only spec'd for a small, single battery.  

It seems we also have at least 1000# of stuff that the manufacturer would call personal items.  Over the years I have whittled that down, but not by much.  I still need and want to carry a generator, lawn chairs, clothing and food.  The big, big item is food.  I am in process of loading up for a long trip and even after years of doing this, I am amazed at the weight of my food, including canned goods and a stocked refrigerator/freezer.

The RV industry is just plain disgusting.  Who would skimp to save a very small amount of money by undersizing the suspension and tires?  It turns out that applies to almost every model.  Forget the decor, the fancy countertops and the oversized refrigerator that doesn't work well.  Even forget the floor plan.  First step is to look at the suspension/tires and cargo capacity.  Even then plan on throwing away the cheap Chinese tires and buying the best quality, oversized tires you can find.

2 hours ago, JimK said:

Forget the decor, the fancy countertops and the oversized refrigerator that doesn't work well.  Even forget the floor plan.  First step is to look at the suspension/tires and cargo capacity. 

I special ordered my final van. I found a suspension system designed for vehicles that carry their loads high. They specifically mentioned RVs in their examples. That was the best driving of the three Sprinters we owned--the other two being brand name RVs.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, JimK said:

Just to add to the obvious, I have a truck camper and loaded for camping I am about 2000# over the manufacturers wet weight.  With a 5er, you can easily be many thousands of pounds over the phony, manufacturer's specs.  First it seems that the manufacturers dp not include several hundred pounds of common accessories.  For me, those include the awnings and an upgraded, larger overhang to accommodate a queen sized bed and two solar panels.  They also only spec'd for a small, single battery.  

It seems we also have at least 1000# of stuff that the manufacturer would call personal items.  Over the years I have whittled that down, but not by much.  I still need and want to carry a generator, lawn chairs, clothing and food.  The big, big item is food.  I am in process of loading up for a long trip and even after years of doing this, I am amazed at the weight of my food, including canned goods and a stocked refrigerator/freezer.

The RV industry is just plain disgusting.  Who would skimp to save a very small amount of money by undersizing the suspension and tires?  It turns out that applies to almost every model.  Forget the decor, the fancy countertops and the oversized refrigerator that doesn't work well.  Even forget the floor plan.  First step is to look at the suspension/tires and cargo capacity.  Even then plan on throwing away the cheap Chinese tires and buying the best quality, oversized tires you can find.

The manufacturer has a gvwr rating for a reason. It is negligent to overload the rv or vehicle. Find an rv that you can live with but look at the frame ,suspension,brakes and tires, then look at all the fancy stuff. Keep looking  for one you can carry all your things and still be at a safe limit. There are enough overloaded trucks out there already try not to add to it. You don’t want to have an accident and hurt someone or kill them when you know you are overloaded, and an investigation will show that. Just be safe and look more at the bones than the bling. 

• 1 month later...

Wow!.   Got kinda busy with life and finally came back to the thread to find so much good advice on it.   Ok, let me see if I can recap.

Tow Vehicle - I did a bunch of asking around on some recent trips when I could chat with those pulling 5ers.  What I found was that most were happy with their 3/4 ton trucks, but I never got a "wish I'd bought the smaller one" when I spoke to the guys driving dualies....   Given the weight we're looking at we did some shopping and settled on a 22' F350 Crew Cab Diesel DWR and I've been getting used to it for about a month as a daily driver and I'm pretty happy with it.  Tow's my current 22 foot R-Pod like there's nothing back there.  Can't wait to get something a bit more significant to tow. 

Weight - This is another reason we went with the Dually.  The DRW adds about an extra 10k to my cargo, so I figure I can dump a lot of the heavy stuff in the truck box (tools and such) and save my trailer cargo for the more domestic stuff we use day-to-day (yes, planning to leave plenty of room for the pin-box to swing around).   I'm still a bit cautious about what all we get to fit in the #1800.  I've been reading up on all the various weight ratings and where I can run the limit, but also where I'd want/need/like to have a safety margin.  This will be our home we're towing after all.....

Shopping around and Sales-folk - Some great advice from lots of sources.  I like the suggestion @rpsinc made regarding "what kind of unit do you have?" is a great question.  We've already had one afternoon session to test the AC's to see how quickly they can drop temps, testing out the couches and such.  We're probably going to try and swing another one where I bring my desk chair and spend some time in my "office"   Thanks also to @sandsys for the extensive list.  We've done many of those, but also added to our list for the next round.

Maintenance - The Emergency/Maintenance fund is good advice for anyone... Thank fully we already have a good cushion and I don't want to be reckless.  Maintenance and repairs is coming up on my research list.  I'm fairly capable of doing most of the routine vehicle maintenance (oil changes, tire rotations, wheel bearings, etc) and I can be handy around the house, but I'm sure I'll be coming back to you guys to advice once I dig into a project.

Thanks again, so much good stuff to try and acknowledge.  We can't wait to get out an join yall.

14 minutes ago, 4McQueens said:

Thanks also to @sandsys for the extensive list.  We've done many of those, but also added to our list for the next round.

Glad to help. That's what this community is all about.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

9 hours ago, 4McQueens said:

I'm fairly capable of doing most of the routine vehicle maintenance (oil changes, tire rotations, wheel bearings, etc) and I can be handy around the house, but I'm sure I'll be coming back to you guys to advice once I dig into a project.

You need to be aware that the majority of RV parks and campgrounds do not allow one to work on the RV while in the park. Minor things that take little time and aren't obvious are usually overlooked but things like changing oil or other fluids and mechanical work is not. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 hours ago, Kirk W said:

You need to be aware that the majority of RV parks and campgrounds do not allow one to work on the RV while in the park. Minor things that take little time and aren't obvious are usually overlooked but things like changing oil or other fluids and mechanical work is not. 

Yea, I've heard it's spotty.   Are there reliable go-to's for that?  I cant imagine a walmart or autozone would be keen on that either....

We spent the majority of our fulltime travels with regular stays as RV volunteers and in nearly all of those positions there were maintenance areas that I could the the RV to when doing thinks like oil changes & lubrication  work. I have been in commercial RV parks that had a place you could wash the RV and at least some of the Escapee co-op parks have a maintenance area. There are probably others on the forums who could give you better advice on this than I. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI