Registering a 5th wheel in Nevada

trvlbug2

We are looking into domiciling in Nevada, but according to their DMV handbook, one must have a Class A license for any rig (truck & towable) with a GVWR over 26,000 lb. Our rig will definitely exceed that by about 2-3K lb. Anyone out there with a rig that heavy and is registered with the Nevada DMV who has run into this issue?

We lived in Texas and they too required a class A license for a combination over 26,000 lb.  My wife and I both had the Class A licenses for better than 10 years.  It was not that difficult to pass the written or driving portion for Texas.  There are better than a dozen states with similar requirements.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

1 hour ago, packnrat said:

i have just retired. and the dmv office in ca. said i could not keep my class A. if not driving commercially.

so avoid ca.

I am retired and still have a valid California commercial drivers license.  Having a job is not a requirement to get a commercial class A in California.  If you can’t pass the medical or the driving/written test then they can pull your license.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

The requirement to keep a Class A isn't driving commercially, you can keep a commercial Class A if you're laid off or unemployed.  The catch is keeping the medical certificate that accompanies the license current, i.e. having to take and pass a CDL medical exam every year after age 65.

When I retired in CA I traded in my commercial Class A for a noncommercial Class A (the RV version) which only requires a self certified health statement when it's issued, not ongoing medical exams.

Edited by Lou Schneider

On 7/7/2023 at 1:14 PM, trvlbug2 said:

We are looking into domiciling in Nevada, but according to their DMV handbook, one must have a Class A license for any rig (truck & towable) with a GVWR over 26,000 lb. Our rig will definitely exceed that by about 2-3K lb. Anyone out there with a rig that heavy and is registered with the Nevada DMV who has run into this issue?

I'm in Pahrump and when I moved here I was told by the local DMV office that I couldn't get a noncommercial Class A license unless I had a rig that needed it. I was looking at a diesel pusher in AZ that required the non commercial Class A drivers license. The catch is only a few DMV offices administer the driving part of the CDL tests, the one nearest to me is in North Las Vegas and I couldn't legally drive the rig there to take the test or back if I or the rig failed the test (one issue was the low air brake pressure warning light was inoperative).  I'd have to hire a driver to get the motorhome to the DMV office to take the driving test.

I decided this was more hassle than it was worth and decided to pass on that rig, getting one that weighed less than 26,000 lbs instead.

Here's a link to Nevada's Nevada's Noncommercial Class A Study Guide.  It says which DMV offices administer the driving tests but doesn't address how to get the RV there so you can take the test.

Edited by Lou Schneider

On 7/14/2023 at 2:57 AM, Chad Heiser said:

I am retired and still have a valid California commercial drivers license.  Having a job is not a requirement to get a commercial class A in California.  If you can’t pass the medical or the driving/written test then they can pull your license.

^^^ That ^^^

I kept mine when I retired from the state of CA.  I only gave it up later because I didn't need it anymore.

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

On 7/7/2023 at 1:14 PM, trvlbug2 said:

The term you're looking for is GCWR (Gross Combined Wheel Rating), not GVWR (Gross Vehicle Wheel Rating).  GCWR is for the total allowed weight of the trailer/5th-wheel + the tow vehicle together.  GVWR is for the total allowed weight of either one by itself.

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

• 4 weeks later...