Alternative to Streets & Trips

crstrm

Greetings,

I’ve been using Streets and Trips for well over 10 years. Yeah, I know it has been end of life for some time. However, it is now time for me to reluctantly move on to another app.

I’m looking for an application similar to Streets and Trips where I can work on my route on the laptop and then upload the route to my Garmin GPS. I am aware of Basecamp for Garmin but I don’t care for the application.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Art

2016 Leisure Travel Van Serenity S24CB

I agree. That was my one and only but I still use it.  We're not in big cities much and I find it works just fine out of the city.  Roads don't change that much.  It was a delight to be able to use it without having internet as we were boondockers a lot.  It gave so much detail.  I was sorry to see it go.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I have used Streets and Trips since the version I got in the Microsoft package I got with a new computer likely close to 20 years ago. Was using the 2010 version until this year when my computer died and the reinstallation process said I was out of the permitted number of installations and would not finish the install. I used the trial version until it expired. I have tried several things to try to use the trial version again but have been unsuccessful. I also tried Base Camp but never had much success getting it to do what I wanted. I went back to the 2007 version of Streets and trips which has no limit on the number of installs.

I used Streets and Trips for many years but could not get it to work when I replaced my laptop.  I made the transition to RV Trip Wizard and it has worked reasonably well.  But as time goes on, the product is suffering from "Bloatware".  People keep asking for things to be added in to make it not only a planning tool but a records tool as well.  I would love to see something closer to the original RV Trip Wizard and lose all the excess baggage.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I thought I was the last person still using Streets & Trips.  I guess I was wrong.  A few years ago I noticed that the accuracy of road info was getting worse and worse since it was no longer being updated.  I finally gave up and started planning my trips using Google maps on the computer and then uploading it to my phone for in vehicle navigation.  There have been a couple of oh $&^#t moments but I am slowly learning the finer nuances.  I really like the real time traffic info.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

1 hour ago, TXiceman said:

I used Streets and Trips for many years but could not get it to work when I replaced my laptop.  I made the transition to RV Trip Wizard and it has worked reasonably well.  But as time goes on, the product is suffering from "Bloatware".  People keep asking for things to be added in to make it not only a planning tool but a records tool as well.  I would love to see something closer to the original RV Trip Wizard and lose all the excess baggage.

Ken

While we may have differing definitions of "Bloatware" I do know that you can turn off or minimize pretty much any tool or feature that you do not want to use so that it can be used stripped down or full featured. 

While not completely straightforward you can also export the planned trip to a file for import into a Garmin GPS for those that like to use a GPS rather than the small screen on a phone.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I use a feature of Google called "My Maps" and I don't know how to explain how you can get, or even how I got it.

However, it is very, very good for planning a route.
For example, this link should allow you to see one route that I planned - and it's in segments.
Try: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1eD6PeOopXgmcxK2oHP-y2GrPC--GOHe4&usp=sharing

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

If you click on the link in the previous post, in the upper left, next to "Southbound 395" are three dots.
Click the three (menu) dots.
Select "Export to KML/KMZ"  - - - don't worry about the options - just down load the file.

If you use BaseCamp - you can import the downloaded KML/KMZ file into BaseCamp
And from BaseCamp - you can export it into your Garmin - and perhaps other GPS devices

Unknown to me, is if you can import a KML/KMZ file into other mapping programs. . .
Best of luck to those who try, and if you can, describe it to the rest of us. (please)

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

3 hours ago, justRich said:

Unknown to me, is if you can import a KML/KMZ file into other mapping programs. . .
Best of luck to those who try, and if you can, describe it to the rest of us. (please)

While perhaps not your everyday mapping program KML/KMZ files can be imported to Google Earth. KML stands for Keyhole Markup Language and KMZ is the same but zipped. Supposedly they can be used for any internet based mapping system. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg