Electric code for RV parks and RVs

Kirk W

I was just digging a bit and found a copy online of the updated code which should be in use since 2020.

Article 551 Recreational Vehicles and Recreational Vehicle Parks

Part I General

551.1 Scope

This article covers the electrical conductors and equipment other than low-voltage and automotive vehicle circuits or extensions thereof, installed within or on recreational vehicles, the conductors that connect recreational vehicles to a supply of electricity, and the installation of equipment and devices related to electrical installations within a recreational vehicle park.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you for providing that Kirk, it clears up many things I've read about on various RVing forums.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The latest version of NFPA 70, the NEC, is the 2023 edition. I have not yet compared 551 from the 2020 edition with the current edition to look for any changes.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I'm reading it now, at: https://link.nfpa.org/free-access/publications/70/2023

An interesting fact, NFPA 70 2023 is incorporated into the NEC for all 50 states.

quote:"

Several key changes to the 2023 NEC focus on ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) and arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs)."

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Just remember, once an installation is approved as meeting the current code, it is exempt from code changes until such time the system is modified enough to require new permits be pulled. Only then will upgrades be required to meet the new current code.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

9 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Just remember, once an installation is approved as meeting the current code, it is exempt from code changes until such time the system is modified enough to require new permits be pulled.

Another thing is to keep in mind that there are rural areas that have no permit requirements in many states and so no inspections are done for new construction and repairs to existing equipment may have been done by unqualified amateurs. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Good information, thanks for posting !!!!!!!!!! My thought are as follows:

Having been a power distribution engineer and RVer of 50 years over much of the USA, IVE SEEN IT ALL OUT THERE. The thing is REGARDLESS of any NEC, which some states or some jurisdictions may or  may not have adopted..  NOTE no matter what the NFPA has published or perhaps the STATE may or may not say, many many counties especially rural have not adopted the requirements or enforce them or even have inspectors or exercise any authority grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  ,,,,,,,,,REGARDLESS if codes have changed as older installations can still be GRANDFATHERED IN,,,,,,,,    Many Many especially OLDER RV parks and due to the ever increasing energy demands of newer bigger RV's HAVE INADEQUATE ELECTRICAL DISTRIBUTION. 

On a hot day with 50 Amp RV's running AC's, if you're located far from the last distribution panel VOLTAGE MAY BE LOW which can cause overheating and damage to RV appliances grrrrrrrrrrr. One other thing Ive observed is inadequate electrical service to a park from the utility. Its more expensive to provide more transformers and services into a park. Also many older parks had adequate electrical service 20 YEARS AGO but now with 50 Amp RV's and lots f AC running THEY CAN NO LONGER KEEP UP and upgrades now are very expensive.......

Ive seen parks that supply 208  Y 120 Volt Three Phase Four Wire which is fine if properly installed and balanced but, of course does NOT provide 240

SOLUTIONS sorry but I don't expect things to improve drastically in the short run as its so expensive to upgrade PLUS as noted above theres a shortage of code enforcement and/or older grandfathered in parks which are reluctant to upgrade......

One old retired engineer and long time RVers advice is to utilize surge protection and energy management systems, check BEFORE plugging in especially on hot days when parks are full...Remember there's no V = I x R Voltage Drop UNLESS THERES CURRENT DRAW    Early or before AC's are running a voltage check may be fine BUT LATER ???????? Thats when you need to check pedestal voltage.

Best wishes and God Bless all here, thanks for an informative thread which may bore non sparkies lol THANKS to all here for the help you have given me !!!!

John T   BSEE,JD  Still dry camped near Lake Wales in sunny Florida, gotta love solar and lithium batteries

Edited by oldjohnt

I stopped reading last night, the NFPA free website reproduction was so small I got eye-strain. I'll have to wait on Dutch's cliff-notes.

Edited by Ray,IN

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

I stopped reading last night, the NFPA free website reproduction was so small I got eye-strain. I'll have to wait on Dutch's cliff-notes.

Did you miss the little + and - magnifying glasses in the lower right corner? :)

NnSlx4ml.jpg

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system