Comfort Ride 245 Hitch

TB673

I have a chance to upgrade to a Comfort Ride 245 hitch. The current owner says that Roadmaster doesn't offer support  anymore, so, would this worth taking a chance on?

I've seen some of the issues on the Comfort Ride Hitches on the HDT forum, but my trailer isn't a heavyweight. It has a Gross Weight of 16,880 lbs. with a pin around 3200 lbs.

Thanks in advance

Tim

SINCE POSTING THIS 2/23 MY OPINION HAS CHANGED. OUR HITCH HAD A CATASTROPHIC FAILURE RIGHT BEFORE WE DEPARTED AN OVERNIGHT STOP. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HITCH TO ANYONE. I WOULD ALSO RECOMMEND THAT IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY USING THIS HITCH TO GET IT REPLACED. WE WERE VERY FORTUNATE THAT PEOPLE DIDN'T DIE. IF THIS HAD FAILED 15 MINUTES LATER IT WOULD HAVE BEEN HORRIBLE. WE WENT BACK TO A TRAILERSAVER. WAITING FOR DELIVERY AS WE SPEAK.

We currently have a CR 245 and are very happy with it. We had a TrailerSaver on our last truck and we were very happy with that as well.

The main reason we went with CR was the lack of air bags, compressor, etc. It was just one less thing to worry about.

If I had to choose one over the other I would pick the TrailerSaver but as you say, "You have a chance to upgrade", it sounds like it's not an either or proposition.

Edited by Fhkw9DPJ8V1g
change of opinion

9 hours ago, TB673 said:

The current owner says that Roadmaster doesn't offer support  anymore,

In looking under support on the Roadmaster website, they still list the manuals for the hitches as available but as discontinued products. As far as support for parts, you probably need to call them at 1-800-669-9690.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Fhkw and Kirk, Thanks for the responses.

I have seen the manuals for the 184, 245 and the 308, but that was about the extent of it. No part list availability, or products shown (Under the name Comfort Ride)other than their suspension system and their Quick Foot Jack Extension.

A phone call is in order.

Tim

Just as a follow-up, after contacting Roadmaster as to parts availability and or support for the Comfort Ride 5th wheel hitch line-up, here is their reply:

Tim, my apologies. That is a discontinued product, and no replacement parts are available.

Short and sweet.

Jay thanks for the heads up. Are you going to a more common hitch?

Tim

Edited by TB673

1 hour ago, TB673 said:

Just as a follow-up, after contacting Roadmaster as to parts availability and or support for the Comfort Ride 5th wheel hitch line-up, here is their reply:

Tim, my apologies. That is a discontinued product, and no replacement parts are available.

Short and sweet.

Jay thanks for the heads up. Are you going to a more common hitch?

Tim

No, we've sold our Newmar fifth wheel and no longer need it. It's been a great hitch for us. Jay