How do you unlock a Smart Car, with a dead battery?

mr. cob

Dave, is your battery not up front under the "hood"?  Wouldn't a simple jump, or trickle charger have been simpler?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

24 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Dave, is your battery not up front under the "hood"?  Wouldn't a simple jump, or trickle charger have been simpler?

Howdy Ricky,

The battery in my Smart Car, ( 2013 ) is located under the floor on the passenger side of the car.  You have to pull the floor mat up, remove the plastic thing that holds the toe hook and tire pump, then the battery is mounted in a deep recess.  NO WAY to get to the battery without getting into the car.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 minute ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I thought you just inserted the winding key and turned it for 10 minutes or so to give it a good charge to be able to unlock it.

Howdy GH,

Well if that's true, I need to find and deal with extreme prejudice the person who stole the winding key.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave,

Those MB engineers were pretty smart designing the smart .... They put them under the front passenger floorboard with the battery.... Most of them have been tossed into the woods after the owner couldn't unlock the car to use it to unlock the car.

😎

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

1 minute ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Dave,

Those MB engineers were pretty smart designing the smart .... They put them under the front passenger floorboard with the battery.... Most of them have been tossed into the woods after the owner couldn't unlock the car to use it to unlock the car.

😎

Howdy G H,

Remember in my last post, where I used the words, "extreme prejudice", just sayin.........😉

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave, 

since I have a company truck, I rarely drive my smart. I got tired of jump starting and ruining batteries.
I hardwired a cigarette lighter plug straight to the battery and bought a small solar charger that I throw between the windshield and the sun screen. It just back-feeds through the cigarette lighter plug. I leave it on all the time the car is parked, even on the trucks deck.

I got something like this. 
Amazon.com: Topsolar 20 Watt 12 Volt Solar Trickle Charger 20W 12V Solar Panel Car Battery Charger Portable Solar Battery Maintainer for Car Motorcycle Boat Marine RV + Cigarette Lighter Plug Alligator Clip : Patio, Lawn & Garden

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

14 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Dave, 

since I have a company truck, I rarely drive my smart. I got tired of jump starting and ruining batteries.
I hardwired a cigarette lighter plug straight to the battery and bought a small solar charger that I throw between the windshield and the sun screen. It just back-feeds through the cigarette lighter plug. I leave it on all the time the car is parked, even on the trucks deck.

I got something like this. 
Amazon.com: Topsolar 20 Watt 12 Volt Solar Trickle Charger 20W 12V Solar Panel Car Battery Charger Portable Solar Battery Maintainer for Car Motorcycle Boat Marine RV + Cigarette Lighter Plug Alligator Clip : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Howdy Big5er,  Sorry it's been so long since I have corresponded with you I have forgotten your real name, I think it's "Phil" but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the link, that looks like a real good idea as the car sits on the deck of the truck for months without being started or used.  You say you just leave it plugged in all the time, without some sort of monitor isn't there a chance of over charging the battery?

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

A 20W panel isnt likely going to allow for overcharging the car battery esp with a charge controller.  It is a good idea for that purpose and allows for the battery to be exercised considering the small phantom drains that every car has.  That is good for car batteries.

I use 50W panels that I move from each piece of equipment as needed & I have a bunch of those.  They work well, alligator clips onto batteries.

Marcel

1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

A 20W panel isnt likely going to allow for overcharging the car battery esp with a charge controller.  It is a good idea for that purpose and allows for the battery to be exercised considering the small phantom drains that every car has.  That is good for car batteries.

I use 50W panels that I move from each piece of equipment as needed & I have a bunch of those.  They work well, alligator clips onto batteries.

Howdy Macel,

Thanks for the additional information.  Over the years I have been a member of this forum the knowledge shared has been a valuable resource that is most appreciated.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 1/30/2023 at 9:12 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy Big5er,  Sorry it's been so long since I have corresponded with you I have forgotten your real name, I think it's "Phil" but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the link, that looks like a real good idea as the car sits on the deck of the truck for months without being started or used.  You say you just leave it plugged in all the time, without some sort of monitor isn't there a chance of over charging the battery?

Dave

100% correct, sir. Phil is right.

And I've never had an issue with overcharge. The car (as we know) has a parasitic drain anyway and with the controller built onto the panel I never even gave it a thought. I added the cigarette lighter plug because the factory plug is wired to the key and shuts off. Adding a new plug straight to the battery makes the panel easy to connect and disconnect without having to dig under the floor mat to attach clips

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo