Baystar

NDBirdman

I'm looking at a used Newmar Baystar with V10 Ford engine (~40k miles).  Anyone have experience with them?  For snowbirds and week-long outings, is this a good MH in y'alls experience?  Any inherent problems I should look at with these RVs?  I will be towing a ~20ft cargo trailer with HD Tri-Glide and lots of sky-watching equipment.  May eventually have a Toad behind it, depending on where/when we go on our outings.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I have not owned any Newmar products, but we did own a 36' class A that was on an F53 chassis with the early V10 and owned it for 14 years and 81k miles. The only problems that we had was a seal in the rear wheel was replaced under warranty at about 500 miles and a pinion seal at about 15k miles. Nothing more but recommended maintenance. It did develop the typical gasser tail sag at about year 10 and we had air bags installed. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, NDBirdman said:

I will be towing a ~20ft cargo trailer with HD Tri-Glide and lots of sky-watching equipment.  May eventually have a Toad behind it, depending on where/when we go on our outings.

In case you are talking about towing a vehicle behind the trailer, it appears that most states require the first hitch to be a 5th wheel if they allow double towing at all.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Friends have a Newmar w the Ford V10. Not sure if it's the Baystar model. It dropped a valve 2 years into ownership, the Ford dealer in Texas took care of them, under warranty. Only trouble they've had with it. We changed a couple interior lights out for brighter ones, but that was an age related issue, rather than a marque issue. They've used it extensively for summer and winter travels, and have found the floorplan to work for them. I, personally find the ceiling a little too low, but short of an Alfa, they all seem that way to me.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

3 hours ago, sandsys said:

In case you are talking about towing a vehicle behind the trailer, it appears that most states require the first hitch to be a 5th wheel if they allow double towing at all.

Linda

🙂  Guess I should have said it differently.  Would only tow the trailer or toad, one at a time.  I would never attempt to tow both at same time.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

1 hour ago, NDBirdman said:

🙂  Guess I should have said it differently.  Would only tow the trailer or toad, one at a time.  I would never attempt to tow both at same time.

I thought that was probably the case but with some people you never know and I'd hate to not catch one of them.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Neither of them are the model you're talking about, but both some friends and our daughter and SIL have coaches with the Ford V10 in them. The friends' coach is probably 10 years old and the kids' is less than five years old. The only problem either of them have had is the catalytic converter was stolen off the kids' coach last month in a storage facility in Phoenix. Our SIL flew out yesterday (a day ahead of the rest of the family) and got the catalytic converter replaced today. Catalytic converter theft is a real pandemic and our SIL is planning on installing some sort of anti-theft system on the converter. Other than that, and the fact that there's a lot of engine noise when driving, the Ford V10 is a real workhorse... pun intended.

Rob

Edited by Second Chance

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Cool, thanks for all the replies.  I've been e-mailing/talking to the salesman today.  I've gotten some info, asked for more and have told him my price.  He said they would actually trade my 3500 DRW in on it so I gave him a price.  I doubt he pays what I want, but I've never paid anyone their asking price either so time will tell.  There's a couple more RVs we're looking at if they won't deal but he sounded interested.  Time will tell, sure be nice to get back into an RV again.  This time.... I won't park under a tree on my place during an ice storm... LOL

Gae engine-powered MH's often have a 4,000 -7,000# maximum hitch rating, depending on year of mfgr. This might limit towing a 20' loaded cargo trailer.

IMO it's not so much the total weight as it is weight on the hitch affecting MH handling.

You can read the specs in this Newmar Baystar sales brochure, down about 3/4 of the page.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961