Mini-split A/C system

spindrift

Has anyone bookmarked particularly good resources for learning more about the good, the bad and the ugly regarding these systems?

Edited by spindrift

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

bought a mini split that I run off of solar. For that reason I wanted one that is very efficient. SEER is a measure of how efficient an AC is. The higher the SEER the more efficient the unit is for cooling. Mine is a 21.5 SEER. That is higher than average for mini splits but if I was to do it again there are more efficient mini splits available. Ours is 12,000 BTU. Signature Solar has a 12,000 BTU mini split that has a SEER of 30. You can Google SEER to see how much more efficient that is. For our 40' Teton the 12,000 BTU mini split cools better than one of our 15,000 BTU RV AC's but not as good as both. The one 12,000 BTU mini split keeps us cool into the lower 90's. If you need more cooling there are larger mini splits and some even run 2 mini splits. Once the BTU's are greater than 12,000 the efficiency seems to fade noticeably but I haven't been shopping lately so there may be some better units. If you will be heating with the mini split there are ratings for that to. I think it is HPSF? or something like that. There are units that will work below -0. Some of the other advantages of mini splits is the nearly silent operation. Most units will have a rating for that. I should add that if you will be on the grid the higher efficiency (SEER) units are not necessary. Hope this helps.

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I've used a MIni Split to heat and cool my home for several years now. I'm thinking it's the 4th winter now. 

There has been no issue keeping my home cool or warm enough. I wish the ODU(Outdoor unit) was in a different place, but for the most part the unit is very quiet. It's the loudest during below freezing use when it has to defrost the ODU. Of course that's usually at night when it's the coldest outside. Wakes me up every time.  

Mine is a larger model with two IDU's (Indoor Units). It requires 220/240 volts and I do not know the SEER or HPSF ratings. I will say it seems to be very efficient. I've never paid more than $50 per month on RV sites with metered electric. 

It's not the answer to the question, but it's my experience. 

Rod

ps. haven't used a propane furnace since the install. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I installed 1 12k Pioneer 120v unit several years ago. Stilled used the rv bedroom factory unit. When the bedroom unit died I added the second. It is a 240v unit. That is all the cassettes offer. I choice this this due to no wall in bedroom to put a wall unit in. I really do like the cassette better though. I did put it on a transformer to run it on 120v. I can run both units, lights, tv on my 2500 watt inverter generator. They are very efficient. I agree there are higher seer units now. I second Signature Solar units. We have no problem cooling our 40" Teton now. We did with the factory units. We do use the furnace some. We like the hot heat.  I have installed 4500 watt of solar, that finished, 2 6500 watt inverters, 21kwh lithium battery pak. Have not wired in inverters to ac yet. Work in progress. Should be able to run entire unit with no utility. My goal anyway. Not possible with traditional rv acs.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

16 hours ago, Randyretired said:

I bought a mini split that I run off of solar. For that reason I wanted one that is very efficient. SEER is a measure of how efficient an AC is. The higher the SEER the more efficient the unit is for cooling. Mine is a 21.5 SEER. That is higher than average for mini splits but if I was to do it again there are more efficient mini splits available. Ours is 12,000 BTU. Signature Solar has a 12,000 BTU mini split that has a SEER of 30. You can Google SEER to see how much more efficient that is. For our 40' Teton the 12,000 BTU mini split cools better than one of our 15,000 BTU RV AC's but not as good as both. The one 12,000 BTU mini split keeps us cool into the lower 90's. If you need more cooling there are larger mini splits and some even run 2 mini splits. Once the BTU's are greater than 12,000 the efficiency seems to fade noticeably but I haven't been shopping lately so there may be some better units. If you will be heating with the mini split there are ratings for that to. I think it is HPSF? or something like that. There are units that will work below -0. Some of the other advantages of mini splits is the nearly silent operation. Most units will have a rating for that. I should add that if you will be on the grid the higher efficiency (SEER) units are not necessary. Hope this helps.

I did this on my phone, sorry for the dead space. I don't know what I did to cause this nor do I know how to fix it.

You should be able to place your "cursor" at the bottom of your entry and then use the back button to remove the blank space. Jay

I have 7 Mitsubishi outside units connected to 17 indoor units on a boat and they are on generator power 100%.  In 6 years I have had 1 compressor failure, 1 indoor unit failure and a couple of failed circuit boards. I believe this is fantastic considering the vibration, extreme temps, and dirty power supply they operate under. We were struck by lightning about 6 months ago and while we lost radios, radar, and a fridge none of the ac units were affected.

The only negative comment i have is cleaning the squirrel cage blowers on the indoor units sucks. Also, remove the covers on the outside units every 6 months if unit is ran a lot and wash out condenser with a garden hose.