.Travel from FL to Austin TX (title added by moderator)

ms60ocb

I have heard lots of horror stories over the years but what is the current status. I will be starting that journey in 2 weeks and only traveled I-10 in Florida on this eastern portion. I know Houston on the western side and San Antonio has construction, I'm going Austin area for Christmas then Kerrville.  For comparison I-55 in Arkansas MP65 area has construction and ROUGH but finally repair to a rough area. I-65 south bound through Birmingham Al is rough at all the concrete joints.

I'm traveling in a Class A pulling a car. What are some alternate routes. My only interest maybe stopping in Baton Rouge for a day or so.

Clay

Edited by Kirk W
add missing title

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

We drove I10 east from Livingston to the Tallahassee FL area a month or so ago. No problems seen, even the Louisiana section was OK and that usually has some sort of construction going on.

There really isn't any sort of practical, southern, route that you can take to avoid I10. You can divert up to I20 but that will be way out of your planned route. US90/98 is deadly slow with innumerable small towns west of Eglin AFB. East of that it is good and fast to Perry, 4 Lane mostly empty.

We didn't drive thru Houston this trip but have many times in the past and yes it is the bottleneck in the route, even without construction. Texas has lots of surface roads and I suppose you could bypass Houston. We came into Livingston via Bryan Texas(from Lubbock and New Mexico). The roads were good but of course much slower going thru many towns. It depends on your time available for the trip.

2 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

I will be starting that journey in 2 weeks and only traveled I-10 in Florida on this eastern portion. I know Houston on the western side and San Antonio has construction, I'm going Austin area for Christmas then Kerrville. 

Does this mean that you will be starting the trip in FL? I would agree with it taking much longer if you avoid I10 and it will also add a lot of distance if you want major routes since there really isn't a parallel route to I10 through TX. US 90 does offer a partial alternative but I would not consider it to be a very good one. There is some road construction but not a lot at this time of year. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Evidently, a lot of this post is deleted for some reason so I don't know your starting point and ending point. No interstate is in perfect condition and they change monthly/yearly depending on repair work done.  We've done TX90 with good results as an alternative to the interstate but not in the past months.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

8 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Evidently, a lot of this post is deleted for some reason so I don't know your starting point and ending point. No interstate is in perfect condition and they change monthly/yearly depending on repair work done.  We've done TX90 with good results as an alternative to the interstate but not in the past months.

UURC start somewhere in FL end in Austin

• Kirk W changed the title to .Travel from FL to Austin TX (title added by moderator)
4 hours ago, agesilaus said:

UURC start somewhere in FL end in Austin

What does UURC mean?   When I saw the post there was only a period in the subject line. Now I see Kirk edited it.

The OP mentions Florida, Arkansas, Texas, Alabama  and Baton Rouge.  Sorry.... it was confusing to me.

Also, in my post I meant Louisiana 190 which parallels I-10; not Texas 90 (although we've driven it, also).  Sorry.

On Louisiana 190 we loved stopping in Eunice for some Cajun music played casually at the music store in town in the morning complete with Cajun snacks.  We also attended the Cajun show in the theater at night.  I believe this was all on a Saturday.  Fun place.

I love secondary highways so if he wants to avoid I-10 this is how I'd go from Kerrville to Baton Rouge.  He could then stop at Escapees headquarters in Livingston to check it out & perhaps take a tour.  The mail room is interesting.  Then a stop in Eunice.

NOTE:  via I-10 is 527 miles - Kerrville, I-10, Baton Rouge.   Via Livingston it's 561 miles (not much difference).  He also wouldn't have to drive thru San Antonio or Houston.

Kerrville to Baton Rouge via the back roads.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Kirk Thanks for editing my lost title, that is correct. 10 days ago I was in Cold Illinois and from there when to Memphis for Thanksgiving. After visits in east-central Florida, continuing west across uncharted area, for me, on i-10.. I've been in uncharted area before but the rough spots on roads are never charted except by construction signs.

Clay Driving a Class A pulling  a car

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C