Hanging up the keys questions

Class of 2009 here! We just signed for an apartment near our family in Missouri and plan to leave the RV year round at the park in Texas we have been staying for awhile. We'll sell or trade-in the truck and move back and forth in a new SUV. We'll spend the majority of the year in Texas. A couple of questions:

Insurance - we will keep paying for insurance since the RV still has some value. Does that sound right?

Registration/Inspection - the RV will never be towed by us again and we plan on getting skirting, etc. to make the RV virtually unmovable. What are my options with regards to yearly registrations and inspections?

TIA for any assistance as we journey on to the next phase of our life!

Bob & Jo

Edited by SKP099512

Bob & Jo
Full-timing since 09/10/2009 - SKP 99512
2015 Lifestyle LS38RS

2010 Ford F-350
Our blog: http://bobandjotravelblog.blogspot.com/
Our travel photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobandjotravel/sets/

We traveled that same road, going fulltime in 2000 and downsizing the RV with a permenant home in 2012. Since you plan to keep the trailer parked semipermanently in an RV park in TX as your primary home, don't you think that it is important to have it insured, and the belongings that you keep in it? I suggest that you discuss your plans with the insurance agent as you probably won't need the same coverage since it won't be on the road but it will be your home and a loss due to fire or natural disaster would be very serious. The license plates are a different issue. Many RV parks require all RVs in the park to have current license plates so talk to them about that before you make a decision. If there are other RVs in the park that are skirted and parked as you plan to do, discuss your situation with them as well. As far as the state of TX is concerned, you don't need to register a trailer that is never on the highways and if you ever do take it on the highway again you can restart registerations by signing an afidavit that states that it has not been on the public roads in the intervening years that it was not registered. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks BarbaraOK and Kirk for your responses.

I'll keep the RV insured and I'll stop by the DMV and confirm what to do about registration. Makes sense that if not on the road it doesn't need to be registered.

Bob & Jo
Full-timing since 09/10/2009 - SKP 99512
2015 Lifestyle LS38RS

2010 Ford F-350
Our blog: http://bobandjotravelblog.blogspot.com/
Our travel photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobandjotravel/sets/

21 hours ago, Kirk W said:

The license plates are a different issue. Many RV parks require all RVs in the park to have current license plates so talk to them about that before you make a decision.

Yes this! That is a requirement of the park we are in and there are some trailers that have been in here for years. The only time they get moved is when they get towed to an inspection facility and back again. I asked about this and it is a zoning thing the difference between being zoned as an RV park of mobile home park which I guess an RV becomes if unlicensed and unmovable.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

the difference between being zoned as an RV park of mobile home park

This is important to the land owner, as a taxation issue.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

3 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I asked about this and it is a zoning thing the difference between being zoned as an RV park of mobile home park which I guess an RV becomes if unlicensed and unmovable.

I am sure that at least in some cases zoning does play a part but I also know of at least 2 TX RV parks that do not require a current license an both do have some permanently parked RVs which have no current registrations. I also have a friend who parked his RV on land that he bought in rural TX to develop it and then moved in a "manufactured home." After 3 years without registering it he wanted put it back on the road and signed an afidavit that it had not been on the public roads in that 3 years and was then issued a new license plate. That was also about 15 years ago so might have changed. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I am sure that at least in some cases zoning does play a part but I also know of at least 2 TX RV parks that do not require a current license an both do have some permanently parked RVs which have no current registrations. I also have a friend who parked his RV on land that he bought in rural TX to develop it and then moved in a "manufactured home." After 3 years without registering it he wanted put it back on the road and signed an afidavit that it had not been on the public roads in that 3 years and was then issued a new license plate. That was also about 15 years ago so might have changed. 

I have heard that it is easy enough to get it back on the road, much easier in Texas than it was in Colorado. There they made you pay all the back taxes too.

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

This is important to the land owner, as a taxation issue.

This is exactly my thinking. In Kirk's example maybe the zoning was different so they did not care about current tags, I just know in our home base park it is a requirement.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Also the class of 09.  After 10 years on the road my wifes health forced us to park on city lots we own in Paducah Tx. She passed away in feb. after three years parkedl. I had considered buying a house but at our age it would be hard for the kids to sell it to settle the estate when ( am gone. I am comfortable in the trailer after 13 years and dont need any more room I have a 40 ft shipping container with a shop and extra fridge in itl, I dont have any desire to travel alone so i will just sta y here for now.

LIFE IS GOOD1111

Freddy & Delcie Prather

Echo- Yorkie
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Jake Brake #5000 Air Bags
2005 Mobile Suites 36RE3
Full Time Since Oct 1st 2009

3 hours ago, Freddy & Delcie said:

Also the class of 09.  After 10 years on the road my wifes health forced us to park on city lots we own in Paducah Tx. She passed away in feb. after three years parkedl. I had considered buying a house but at our age it would be hard for the kids to sell it to settle the estate when ( am gone. I am comfortable in the trailer after 13 years and dont need any more room I have a 40 ft shipping container with a shop and extra fridge in itl, I dont have any desire to travel alone so i will just sta y here for now.

LIFE IS GOOD1111

Good to hear you are doing well, Freddie. I was sorry to hear about Delcie, she was one of a kind.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van