To all my fellow vets - Thank you for your service.

RV_

Besides being in 2 branches plus national guard and reserve units , I was civilian employee of Ft Hood for 16 years mostly working with reserve units in NE Tx. I observed that if the old timers had  any funny stories about true incidents they would share those fairly readily. Obviously not a sientific study but it seemed to be true. Even a few of those had a grewsome side but still sort of weirdly funny. They were selective who they share those with.  One of the few things my brother eves shared with me still haunts me somewhat and even though I am glad I listened to let him get it off his chest I wish I had never heard it.  He was a point man on LRRPs' team in RVN I think about late 69-70 or there about. Funny thing is I had just got in country at Da Nang and they had me report to the XO where they asked questions about my younger brother. They were about to send me to one of the big brigs or stockades to see if I could identify a Marine there that fit my brothers description almost to a T and had my brothers drivers license. No picture D.L. then. just before I was about to leave they id'd the guy. But not before the FBI called my Dads and talking to my step mom and her thinking it must be me as my brother was still a senior in H.S. in Dallas. It turned out to be a guy we knew from school who had stolen my brothers ID.

Roger, thanks for sharing. That's another military legacy to be proud of. Thanks for all the service performed by your family for our country.

I visited Rhein Main AFB just as we were closing it in the 90s where the Berlin Airlift memorial is located. Roosevelt wouldn't give up and saved Berlin from Stalin's plan to enclose it too behind their "Iron Curtain."

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

It turned out to be a guy we knew from school who had stolen my brothers ID.

That had your whole family perplexed to say the least. Thanks for sharing. You were in the thick of it in 69/70. Thank you.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 11/18/2022 at 7:25 PM, bigjim said:

all good but the time line. I was 68. My brother was the 69/70.

👍

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998