Purchasing a 4 wheel drive from a rental company for flat towing. Questions & Experiences

ms60ocb

Recently, I asked about towing using a Dolly and your suggestions has me looking at difference vehicles for 4-down. Shopping on-line has it limits. Then looking at the rental companies more choices of color seems to exist. I have rented cars and know that the cars get run hard but have lots of long trips. One big question is these vehicles build to difference specs than the common off the lot car.

Clay who may own a Class A in a week

Edited by ms60ocb
My computer froze when half written

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

9 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

One big question is these vehicles build to difference specs than the common off the lot car.

I have owned 2 cars that were previously rentals and my son now has his third one. If there is anything that is unique to them because they were rental cars we haven't found it. My current car  is a 2019 VW, Jetta. I bought it in Feb. of 2020 and the only thing different is that it had 38k miles in 14 months. Original owner was Enterprise Car Rental. I went online to the VW site and entered the VIN and downloaded a build sheet and there is nothing unique on it. I believe that you can get the buil sheets from any auto manufacturer that way if you wish to check. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You don't have to buy 'from' a rental company. Have a hard look around some of the big, and small, dealers yards and you'll find many vehicles that were once rentals. Rental companies wholesale their stock and dealers buy from the wholesalers.

Years ago we were getting a service on our HHR. An 18 wheeler driver was at the dealers dropping of some vehicles. He said many of his used drop offs were ex rentals. Said if ever in doubt look at the trunk lip. If it's all scratched up then it was a rental. Caused by folks who don't care dragging bags in and out of the trunk.

FWIW that ex rental HHR was a gem. I'm positive the clock had been wound back. We know it had a 'slight' front end accident. But 6 years later we sold it for more than we paid for it!!

We bought a rental from CarMax 6 yr. ago with only 10,000 mileage.  Excellent condition & no suitcase scrapes or dents.  It's run beautifully and haven't had any repairs.  We'd do it again.  It's so easy to buy from CarMax.  You can choose from a big selection of a particular make/model/color online and when they bring it in from another state you can refuse it if you want. No price hassle shopping which we love. You can find out the history of the car which is great because we didn't want one from the snowy states due to salt corrosion from the roads and we didn't want one from places with recent flooding.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Do not purchase any vehicle you plan to tow 4-down until you have read the owners manual, recreational towing section, and confirmed it is approved for such use.(owners manuals are free downloads on the web.)

Do not believe any other source by itself!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 9/13/2022 at 12:15 AM, VC 23RSS said:

Fun Fact:  Some rental companies disable the 4WD on Jeep Wranglers on Hawaii.  This may be more popular than just my experience renting Jeeps there x 3.

Interesting

10 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Do not purchase any vehicle you plan to tow 4-down until you have read the owners manual, recreational towing section, and confirmed it is approved for such use.(owners manuals are free downloads on the web.)

Do not believe any other source by itself!

Good advice.

Years ago, I had a neighbor that mechanic'ed for rental Car company, he always complained that non-standard parts were often found that wasn't available in the parts store. U-Haul trucks had different Internal engine parts. Of course another side of the rental business goes back about 40 years ago I rented a car in St.Louis and was up graded to a full size car, on the key ring was a special key used lock the wheel and wheel covers on the car. I was told people had rented cars just to have the tires stole.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C