Jackalopee Questions Before Buying

skylve

Hello again HDT'ers,

I'm about ready to pull the trigger after 2 years, I'm looking at a few trucks and want to get my jackalopee ready as a plug'n'play setup before I get a truck, but first I got a few questions.

1. Is this the correct website and is it safe? Has anyone used it recently? https://ethitch.com/et-products/jackalopee/

2. How hard is it to assemble for an idiot? I don't have any electrical experience, only Ikea furniture assembly, basic woodworking, basic automotive maintenance, and lots of Lego building experience from years ago.

3. Can reverse lights be omitted? I don't want to tap into the truck wiring and don't really see them being neccesary.

4. Anyone able to tell how long shipping was to Canada?

Thanks in advance, looking to join the community soon.

9 hours ago, skylve said:

Hello again HDT'ers,

I'm about ready to pull the trigger after 2 years, I'm looking at a few trucks and want to get my jackalopee ready as a plug'n'play setup before I get a truck, but first I got a few questions.

1. Is this the correct website and is it safe? Has anyone used it recently? https://ethitch.com/et-products/jackalopee/

2. How hard is it to assemble for an idiot? I don't have any electrical experience, only Ikea furniture assembly, basic woodworking, basic automotive maintenance, and lots of Lego building experience from years ago.

3. Can reverse lights be omitted? I don't want to tap into the truck wiring and don't really see them being neccesary.

4. Anyone able to tell how long shipping was to Canada?

Thanks in advance, looking to join the community soon.

The customer service is very good. I wired mine to be plug and play so I didn't have to cut into the trucks harness. You will want to have it in a box or some sort to keep it out of the weather. I put mine on the inside of the frame rail. No porblems so far but haven't driven in the rain much. Besides that, I have a Detroit engine so under the truck is coated in a nice thin layer of oil waterproofing everything. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I would recommend mounting it inside a compartment. My original was mounted outside, between the frame rails and covered. I filled it with water. There are several here who saw it. The LED's had rusted off and were floating in the water but the damn thing still worked. The designer/creator was there when we found it and gave me a new one, I think it was just because I qualified as the most screwed up one he had ever seen. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

My first installation was to simply lay it on the bed, clear side up, with the cords bungeed in place.  That didn't work so well.  I found it half full of water.  Then I fabbed up a mount on the rear of the cab so I could see the LED's while standing at the rear of the truck.  I made sure to situate the cords so that water ran away from the box.  That worked well for 9 years.  Our new-to-us truck has the Jackalopee mounted the same way.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

21 hours ago, Big5er said:

I would recommend mounting it inside a compartment. My original was mounted outside, between the frame rails and covered. I filled it with water. There are several here who saw it. The LED's had rusted off and were floating in the water but the damn thing still worked. The designer/creator was there when we found it and gave me a new one, I think it was just because I qualified as the most screwed up one he had ever seen. 

This was perhaps the prime example of a masochistic relationship between the Jackalopee and its owner. A pity for the Jackalopee was involved in the replacement decision. Bad mounting of the Jackalopee is a cause of the water getting in. The reason and cure will be explained in the Jackalopee University forum.