SpaceX Starlink for RVs has arrived, here's what you need to know

SpaceX's Starlink now lets you take the service on the road, but don't expect to work while you're driving.
May 24, 2022

Excerpt:

"SpaceX's Starlink satellite broadband division is now selling Starlink for RVs, but it won't work on the move, and other Starlink users might take priority. 

Starlink for RVs is available for those who want Starlink while traveling to areas with slow or no broadband alternatives. The hardware costs $599 while the monthly service costs $135. US consumers also need to pay a $50 shipping fee plus state taxes. European consumers need to pay €634 for the hardware, €71 in shipping, and €124 a month for the service.  

SpaceX and Tesla chief Elon Musk announced availability of Starlink for RV via Twitter today but explained that the antenna is "too big for cars" and thus only suitable for RVs, camper vans and other large vehicles."

More in the article here:

https://www.zdnet.com/home-and-office/networking/spacexs-starlink-for-rvs-has-arrived-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

SpaceX and Tesla chief Elon Musk announced availability of Starlink for RV via Twitter today but explained that the antenna is "too big for cars" and thus only suitable for RVs, camper vans and other large vehicles."

This had me a little confused at first until I found a couple videos showing the antenna being mounted on the roof of an RV using house mounting hardware. The problem I see is that when the antenna is in the stowed position it is hardly aerodynamic and given the size of the antenna I would think that it would make the RV over legal height. The other problem is that roof mounted you are going to run into the same issue as one does with a roof mounted satellite antenna only difference is the TV antenna always looks to the southern sky and the Skylink depends on where you are as to direction. I hope they get a truly mobile antenna designed and in production. Maybe they will now that Elon is requiring people to actually work in the offices again. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

My RV Starlink was suppose to be delivered today but FedEx had some kind of delay on the shipping. Guess it will be Monday before I get it gets here.

Ken....

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

13 minutes ago, hatrack said:

My RV Starlink was suppose to be delivered today but FedEx had some kind of delay on the shipping. Guess it will be Monday before I get it gets here.

Ken....

FedEx delivers on Saturday, at least around here in Texas.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Received mine three days ago. Easy setup in the back yard. Just put it on a 20 foot pole today after having it on the ground.  Working pretty good. My address is in the mid 2022 group of cells. Maybe 2023 if you don’t have a deposit already in. 

We're at Wellsley Island State Park on the Canadian border in upstate NY. There's one square Starlink antenna here in our loop, and we saw a couple more in other loops while touring, one square, one round.

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system