These two Linux desktops are the simplest picks for new users

RV_

For the average Linux beginner or rare casual Linux user like me these two are excellent! I prefer Cinnamon desktop and Mint as the distribution.

Skip the first part if you are not experienced with Linux and start here with the excerpt and read the rest.

Excerpt:

"That brings us to two desktops I believe are the perfect marriage of the Linux ethos and what is required for new users to be able to dive in without hesitation. Those desktops are KDE Plasma and Cinnamon. The primary reason for selecting these two as the desktops of choice for new users is because they are immediately familiar, while still being able to expand as users gain more knowledge. 

KDE Plasma (Figure 3), offers everything a new user wants, without having to worry about tweaking, configuring, or (best of all) learning. 

So, which distributions?

Now that we've narrowed down the desktops, which distributions should you choose? It's pretty easy at this point. If you want a distribution that offers the newest version of the KDE Plasma desktop, go with KDE Neon. If, on the other hand, you want something a bit more stable (without the bleeding edge software), go with Kubuntu.

As far as Cinnamon is concerned, stick with Linux Mint and you'll be good to go.

And there you have it, the easiest method of choosing a Linux distribution for new users. There is no science to this, as it's all about familiarity, stability, and usability. With those three things in mind, you absolutely cannot go wrong with KDE Neon, Kubuntu, or Linux Mint."

Source:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/these-two-linux-desktops-are-the-simplest-picks-for-new-users/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid={%24external_id}&mid={%24MESSAGE_ID}&cid={%24contact_id}&eh={%24CF_emailHash}

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I've been very satisfied with PCLinuxOS and currently KDE Plasma for about 20 years and see no reason to change. I particularly like that PCLOS is a rolling release that stays updated with no need to reinstall it.

https://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=2

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Dutch thanks for the input/suggestion. This is for beginners or the person like me that plays with Linux every five years! LOL! Experienced appreciated.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Over the years I've converted a number of folks, and a few companies as well, from Windows to Linux, usually PCLOS or Red Hat. PCLOS in particular is ideal for Windows users looking to try something different, but not that different. Give the bootable DVD a try. You might like it! :)

Dutch

• 3 months later...

For a twist and something else to try

Pepermint Linux. https://peppermintos.com

I've used a previous version of peppermint to revive an ancient Mac Notebook with good success, albeit still quite slow compared to newer processors.  It's realatively liteweight and has quiet a few useful built in aps.   BUT (disclaimer) It's been several years since I've performed a full install of the OS and didn't/don't use it regularly.   I was using it in a satelite computer (in the shop) But needed windows to run CNC control software so the HDD got removed and replaced with another to load windows.  I suppose I could have dual booted the machine, but I was not using the linux enough to make it useful.  Running "wine" windows emulator, just bogged the computer down, so it got pulled. It was a crappy computer to start with and running the emuilator made it worse.

I'll have to try Linux mint again, in a better (read multi-core) computer.

Cheers

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

I am a big fan of Linux.  Even though I have been using it since the mid 90's, my distribution of choice for most of my computers is Mint.  Mint is often described as being for beginners but it is an excellent choice for more advanced users as well.

For really old computers I have found that systemd based distributions don't seem to play well.  PC Linux OS (PCLOS) and MX Linux work well and have enough modern features to be useful.  There are some distributions that run on 30 year old PC's, but I certainly would not want to use one for my daily driver.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Roger I believe you originally led me to try Mint with Cinnamon. You and a few other folks I know are the Linux gurus.

All Windows 10 users (me too) are facing end of life for Windows 10 in a few years (2025) and might want free programs and operating systems to extend the life of their hardware if their systems are fairly recent with 64 bit quad core processors and at least 8GB of RAM.

Linux can perform surprisingly fast and is fairly easy to learn. As well Libre Office is as good as Microsoft Office today. I am just an amateur with Linux but at least I have tried it several times to see what is new and did a Raspberry Pi with Raspberry Debian Linux way back.

Some of the built in security measures of Windows 11 and the data it phones home are daunting to shut down and some of them can't. I will figure it out but if not I will set one up Linux Mint's current release with Cinnamon on my backup system and use it for a bit before I do my primary main AIO.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Howdy,

As usual, while searching YouTube for something completely different, I stumbled into this video about linux.
There is a great explanation of the origin of Linux as well as the more popular distributions available and why you might choose one over the other.
This would be particulary helpful for someone THINKING about taking the Linux plunge or even someone who has some experience.
Hope this is helpful.

Is Linux for You??

event.png                                             

Franco that is an excellent video thanks! I added it to my Pocket on Firefox.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

2 hours ago, RV_ said:

Franco that is an excellent video thanks!

Your Welcome,   I knew eventually, I'd find something worth while.

event.png                                             

Yes, thanks Franco! It's an interesting video that hopefully will give folks a better understanding of how Linux based OS's work and why Linux is used in so many applications worldwide. The number of Linux based Android installations is impressive, along with the widespread server use. As a Linux user since the late 1990's, I've seen a lot of growth including converting over a dozen businesses to Linux desktops and/or servers.

Dutch

It's a weird world we live in...

From Command line only to GUI, to a combination of both... I've seen it happen.
From centralized computing, to desk top, back to "the cloud" for services like word processing, what goes around keeps going.
The last company I worked for, solely uses Ubuntu rev 18.X for development of the robotics code they create. The day to day PC's are win 10.   I'm not positive the guy working on the AI code is also using a version of Ubuntu, so yes I agree, there is a lot of work being done and more to come using Linux.

I worked for Xerox in the early 80's and they had their own OS know as the STAR that arrived for use two years before the Apple Macintosh.  In the STAR OS, is the icon driven desktop, ethernet communication, the idea of shared data, and the mouse for GUI interaction. Here is a link to an overview of the STAR system from 1982. Its been said that Steve Jobs got his basic desktop use and design after seeing the Xerox STAR system in use.  Sadly, Xerox didn't capitalize on their discovery. 

when I first went to training to use the system, there was a person in the classroom that put the mouse on the floor, thinking that's how it was to be controlled....  That person learned very quickly of their error.(not it!)

event.png                                             

I had a brief experience with Linux Mint, but ran into an issue that I was not prepared to troubleshoot and solve, and went back to Windows.

I authored an extensive collection of articles for my hobby that were written in Word, and saved as pdfs for publishing on my web site that is referenced around the world by many radio control sailboat skippers.

https://sites.google.com/site/johnsrcsailingrulesandtactics/

The issue was with Libra Office that comes with Mint. When I imported the Word docs into the writer program, the font substitutions significantly changed the page layouts, spoiling the relationship between text and diagrams.

Mint worked fine and was easy to install and learn, but I needed MS Office too much.

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

On 9/3/2022 at 5:35 PM, franco-bolli said:

It's a weird world we live in...

From Command line only to GUI, to a combination of both... I've seen it happen.
From centralized computing, to desk top, back to "the cloud" for services like word processing, what goes around keeps going.
The last company I worked for, solely uses Ubuntu rev 18.X for development of the robotics code they create. The day to day PC's are win 10.   I'm not positive the guy working on the AI code is also using a version of Ubuntu, so yes I agree, there is a lot of work being done and more to come using Linux.

I worked for Xerox in the early 80's and they had their own OS know as the STAR that arrived for use two years before the Apple Macintosh.  In the STAR OS, is the icon driven desktop, ethernet communication, the idea of shared data, and the mouse for GUI interaction. Here is a link to an overview of the STAR system from 1982. Its been said that Steve Jobs got his basic desktop use and design after seeing the Xerox STAR system in use.  Sadly, Xerox didn't capitalize on their discovery. 

when I first went to training to use the system, there was a person in the classroom that put the mouse on the floor, thinking that's how it was to be controlled....  That person learned very quickly of their error.(not it!)

Yep, I remember folks thinking I was programming because I could write little .bat files.

I remember hearing about the mixed feelings between management and the researchers/programmers at PARC Xerox when Jobs blew through and took the mouse and GUI.

I remember getting  a C64 with a 300 BAUD modem and we connected dial up to Q-Link which was a walled garden then too, with a real time scrolling message board. I learned to type fast! Q-Link evolved to become AOL, but I was using Alta Vista for search by the  and preferred to fend for myself with the help of Central Point AV.

Remember the PC Junior which was dropped in 1980 and used C/PM from Gary Kildall and Intergalactic Digital Research later shortened to Digital Research? Before he died in a motorcycle wreck his DR DOS was doing real multitasking after GEOWORKS but before Windows got it. For those who never saw one this was Social Media in the 80s. Go to 24:37 in the video:

Thanks for the memory stims.

I didn't want mice after I had to use the first Mac for a n Industrial Engineering class in 1985 or 1986. Then we got Zenith Z-100 green screen all in one computers one day that were C/PM with a mobo card added inside to run PCDOS or  MSDOS I forget. The old days were fun all nighters making them work. Now I want plug and play no?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 weeks later...

I dove into Linux Mint this evening. The install was flawless, but the prep was not.

I downloaded the .iso file for mint 21 but then had an issue burning it to a USB.  So the short cut was to burn it to DVD.  Thankfully, I still have a machine to burn with and the laptop receiving the new OS, also had a DVD reader!

I sort of expected a butt-load of updates and wasn't disappointed when the update/upgrade screen can up. There certainly were quite a few upgrades.

I loaded the linux version of BRAVE Browser from the software manager, and the system alerted me that in addition to the new browser app, would be over a gig of additional support files downloaded... SHeesh!

I'm amazed at what I perceive as a performance boost with the new OS!  The quad core AMD A6-3400 with 4GB of RAM, seems to be a lot quicker to respond to retrieving information and processing browser information from the internet.  I dunno if there was also a "better" driver assigned to my wireless card, but downloads also seem faster.  
Maybe my subconscious wants it to be faster, so I think it is..

Now to experiment with loading WINE, and the VM software...

event.png                                             

Keep us up to date on what you think. Thanks Franco.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

anecdotal evidence that the USB transfer rate changed between the windows7 OS and the linux cinnamon.

Windows 7Mb / sec

Linux 20-25Mb / sec

Boot up time appears to be comparable.   I haven't done anything to tax the processor on the laptop yet.  The laptop will be a travel buddy, to access RV travel wizard web page on the road when I can get Internet service. 

event.png                                             

On 9/3/2022 at 6:11 PM, hiljoball said:

I had a brief experience with Linux Mint, but ran into an issue that I was not prepared to troubleshoot and solve, and went back to Windows.

I authored an extensive collection of articles for my hobby that were written in Word, and saved as pdfs for publishing on my web site that is referenced around the world by many radio control sailboat skippers.

https://sites.google.com/site/johnsrcsailingrulesandtactics/

The issue was with Libra Office that comes with Mint. When I imported the Word docs into the writer program, the font substitutions significantly changed the page layouts, spoiling the relationship between text and diagrams.

Mint worked fine and was easy to install and learn, but I needed MS Office too much.

John

John I missed that first time around. Great website. I had no idea there was a RC sailing culture like that. Thanks for the link and info.

I've heard some folks have format issues. I will always have Office on my main system and Surface Pro and Go2 tablets.

My backup system is my test bed and having just finished upgrading it in the last couple of months I haven't done a lot of testing yet.  

The Libre Office community is very receptive to bug reports and you might want to let them know too.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998