Yellowstone from the east

wtmtnhiker

Hi all,

Traveling from NH to Yellowstone in June. I'll be traveling on I-90 and have reservations for Fishing Bridge RV Park. I'm spending the night in Garryowen, MT then on to Fishing Bridge. To those of you who are familiar with this area can you recommend a route from Garryowen? Thanks

Garry
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500

17 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Is it too late to change your route and leave I-90 at Buffalo, WY? The distance to Fishing Bridge  is 10 miles more from Buffalo and you save 100 miles north to Garryowen. 

I will look at that thank you. Wanted to visit the Little Bighorn National Monument but it's not on my list of must sees.

Garry

The road in from Cody is very scenic and goes right to Fishing Bridge. We took it out in early October last year. I think it is the highest section of the park so may have snow longer than other entrances.

Little Bighorn was more interesting than I expected. I'm usually disappointed in National Battle ground parks, but this was an exception. It's small and takes a couple of hours and is right off the interstate. I hear Gettysburg is another exception but we have not been there yet.

6 hours ago, wtmtnhiker said:

I will look at that thank you.

US16 across the southern Bighorn Mountains is a beautiful drive and is not difficult. You have several options for route into Cody from there and while I have been over more than one, those roads were in good condition when I was last that way but it was several years ago so hopefully someone here will have made the trip recently. When we last went that way it was WY31 to US20, to US14 with a class A towing. Cody is a place that is worth some time as well and especially the Buffalo Bill Museum, where we spent two days. If you plan to be there early, be sure to check the park roads opening dates as the east entrance is currently scheduled to open on May 7.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

It might be worthwhile for you to get the 'Mountain Directory for Trucker & RVers - Western Edition' before your trip since you'll be driving some mountains.  This covers AZ, CO, CA, ID, MT, NV, NM, OR, UT, WA and WY.  There's also one for the eastern mountains.  Even though we drove those mountains all the time as full-timers, we always referred to it over and over again just to refresh our minds and to alert us of what's coming up.

From Garryowen to Cody you have two choices - Hwy 14 or Hwy 16 to Cody.

From the 'Mountain Directory':

Hwy 14 - 18 mi of 5-7% downhill with curves at Granite Pass.  Then at Shell Canyon another 5-7% and a 4600' drop in elevation.  

Hwy 16 - Powder River Pass - 18 mi of downhill of 5-7% with one runaway truck ramp.  (Semis are more apt to use this route over Hwy 14).   We've used it both directions a few times with our 40' motorhome and find it very doable.

Cody is worth at least 2-3 days, especially if you want to do the museum which I recommend. There's also a nice rodeo during the summer... not sure the date it begins.

From Cody to Fishing Bridge you'll have Sylvan Pass.  You'll have a descent of 800' drop in elevation spread over 12 miles. . not bad at all. There are some 5-6% grades and curves but most of the descent is rolling hills. The last few miles are along the edge of Yellowstone Lake.

Downhills:  Get into low gear before beginning the descent; not in the midst.  Many RVers drive these routes.

Hope you enjoy Fishing Bridge. They've been doing some major upgrades.  Give us an update after your visit.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thanks to all who replied. I am going to use some of your suggestions.  I originally routed myself through Garryowen because I thought I'd be staying in Gardiner and thought I'd work in a visit to  The Little Bighorn National Battlefield. Then I got lucky and scored a site at  Fishing Bridge. Going to take Kirk's suggestion and head to Buffalo, then a couple days near Cody at Buffalo Bill State Park then on to Fishing Bridge. Planning on going out the same way. So 16 from Buffalo to Worland because I'm not sure about Rt 31. Then 20 to Greybull and 14 to Cody and on Yellowstone .  Hopefully that is a good plan.  Thanks for the suggestion of spending a couple days in Cody.

Garry

We enjoyed the Little Big Horn Battlefield. From Garryowen we took I-90 west to US-212/310 at Laural, MT to MT-72 which turns into WY-120. WY-120 will take you to Cody. I do not recall any steep grades on this route. If you have the time when in Cody and the roads are open, take a day and drive the loop of the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway and the Beartooth Highway.

Edited by trailertraveler

58 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

We enjoyed the Little Big Horn Battlefield. From Garryowen we took I-90 west to US-212/310 at Laural, MT to MT-72 which turns into WY-120. WY-120 will take you to Cody. I do not recall any steep grades on this route. If you have the time when in Cody and the roads are open, take a day and drive the loop of the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway and the Beartooth Highway.

Going to spend 2 nights in Cody . Want to see the Rodeo but will have time for one or two scenic drives. Thanks.

Garry