Downloading Apps to Fire Stick That Require a TV Subscription

In preparation for the Westminster Dog Show in June, I've been trying to figure out how we can watch it by streaming.  I know I can watch it if I subscribe to something like Fubo TV or Hulu + Live TV, but those are expensive. 

I can also download the Fox NOW app, but there's a hitch -- they require you to have a subscription to a TV provider.  We're currently Dish customers, so I could sign up now for Fox NOW using my login information for Dish.  But we're planning on cancelling Dish in the very near future.  So what happens in June when we no longer have Dish?  Would we still be able to view Fox NOW?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

You may be able to find a service that carries the dog show that has a free trial that would cover the length of the show. Just remember to cancel in time not to get charged.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I don't think you need worry. This is from the Fox Now app description on Amazon.

To get the most out of FOX NOW, sign in with your participating TV provider account. We support providers including Xfinity, DIRECTV, DISH, COX, Hulu + Live TV, Spectrum, Youtube TV, Verizon FiOS, FuboTV, DIRECTV Stream, SlingTV, and more. No provider? You can view unlocked FOX shows that include up to the latest 5 episodes of new shows; returning FOX shows unlock 8 days after airing.

That sounds to me as though there are a number of "providers" and you are not limited to Dish. I just went to the Firestick app store and went to the Fox Now app it let me start watching no login required but I do have an active Youtube TV subscription. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I know it's not limited to just Dish as a TV provider, but once we cancel Dish, we'll have no TV provider -- just streaming.

I have Youtube and Hulu, but just the basic subscriptions, not the ones that include live TV such as Youtube TV or Hulu Plus Live TV.  I would have to upgrade my subscription to one of them.  I don't know the cost of YouTube TV, but Hulu Plus Live TV is ~$70 a month.  Of course, like you say, I could sign up for the month of June and then go back to the basic subscription.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

4 minutes ago, LindaH said:

I know it's not limited to just Dish as a TV provider, but once we cancel Dish, we'll have no TV provider -- just streaming.

I have Youtube and Hulu, but just the basic subscriptions, not the ones that include live TV such as Youtube TV or Hulu Plus Live TV.  I would have to upgrade my subscription to one of them.  I don't know the cost of YouTube TV, but Hulu Plus Live TV is ~$70 a month.  Of course, like you say, I could sign up for the month of June and then go back to the basic subscription.

"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." Well, think you are likely going to have to have a subscription of some sort. When you offer ad free or ad limited streaming you have to have to some way of generating revenue. I guess it will be up to you to pick out the service that provides you the most benefit, but I do not see anyway of watching it without a subscription somewhere. 

I've checked Fubo TV, Sling, Hulu + Live TV, Vidgo, and Youtube TV.  All of them offer FS1, which is the channel I'm interested in, so I wouldn't have to worry about Fox NOW.

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

38 minutes ago, LindaH said:

I've checked Fubo TV, Sling, Hulu + Live TV, Vidgo, and Youtube TV.  All of them offer FS1, which is the channel I'm interested in, so I wouldn't have to worry about Fox NOW.

Very true but all of those are subscription services. I suppose you could time it so as to use a service during a free trial, for example Sling offers a 7 day trial, and then cancel at the end of the subscription. 

• 2 weeks later...

Linda, we have Sling TV Blue and it has FS1. $35.00a month but you could get that month and cancel after using a special introductory offer. We spend way too much on streaming services. We're going to start doing that too. https://www.sling.com/?AID=12167793&PID=9069228&SID=oc5A05L8E%2FcFrofF6SHThF85jnMkiBrOIH5TzlAeANLOEbjUevFmlBA6TzC8whZ5&cvosrc=affiliate.cj.9069228&adid=12167793&af=1&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=cj&utm_campaign=9069228&utm_content=12167793&cjevent=22390cd2a1c711ec83eca5280a1c0e10&partner=22390cd2a1c711ec83eca5280a1c0e10

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Kirk W locked this topic