Solid bus bars and vibration in an RV

KodiakJack

Drafted the batteries that I just ordered to scale in AutoCad so I could juggle them around to find the best layout. Looks like a couple of bus bars just under 2' long would work well to tie the 4 batteries together and allow for connection to the inverter on the ends.  In a fixed location there would be no issue with vibration, large temperature changes, or potential movement, but not so in an RV.  Anyone had problems using bus bars in their RV? 

Is it a better idea to just use cable connections (I have a bunch of 2/0 in a couple lengths). 

Later,

J

Edited by KodiakJack

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I have used bus bars in some situations but haven't seen them used in an RV. The only thing that I can think of that might be a problem would be if the rigid bars were to cause problems due to vibration when you travel. I do think that it would be much easier to use cables because of routing but............  

I'll be very interested to hear what you choose to do and how well it works out.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You ask "Anyone had problems using bus bars in their RV?"  NO, However I did NOT use them to direct tie/couple multiple batteries together but cables instead.

Jack good question FWIW here's my take and experience. I have used quality Buss Bars (check out Blue Sea Marine) in RV applications and NEVER experienced any problems, HOWEVER other suggestions that may have contributed to my success with regards to flexibility, vibration and temp changes are as follows:

POST EDIT: I have never used a solid rigid tie bar from one battery to another (IFFFF that's what you're talking about???) but used cables to allow for flexibility and vibration per the below...However that's just me and how Ive done it, others may do differently. I did NOT have my batteries firmly and solidly joined and bonded together perfectly rigid which is why I preferred flexible cable connections to allow for expansion, slight separation differences, temp and vibration.... 

I ) I use fine stranded copper Welding Cables as they have good flexibility and vibration characteristics plus good insulation. They are NOT cheap but the ONLY way to go in my opinion !!!!

2) To the extent possible I run a flex loop (and adequate slack) prior to buss bar connections to allow for vibration and temperature changes.

3)  I like to have my connections all 90 degrees out of the Buss Bar so the protective covers fit in place.

4) If there's adequate stud length after proper tightening I add one extra locking nut on the end of each stud.    

5) If Im using the Buss for multiple connections such as say the Inverter,,,Charger,,,RV DC loads,,,,,Solar Charge Controller etc etc I place the highest load (Inverter??) right next to the main battery input connection with smaller current devices further away

NOTE: Im talking about using Buss Bars for the connections to multiple devices such as Inverters, Chargers, DC etc. For making parallel connections of multiple batteries I used CABLES ONLY again fine stranded copper welding cables.

NOTE: To the extent possible and if reasonably feasible when using multiple batteries I would prefer if EACH battery received the exact same charging and supplies the exact same current to loads. With only two its not so hard and critical but with three or four or more it can be different........SURE a simple ladder connection works fine, myself and countless others have done it like forever lol with NO PROBLEM......See what Smart Gauge has tested and shown regarding the differences in multiple connections NO WARRANTY that's NOT my testing Im ONLY offering it, do as you please.  http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Let us know what you come up with, best wishes

John T  NOT an expert this is ONLY how I prefer or have done in the past and my experiences using multiple batteries, see what the experts and manufacturers have to say !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by oldjohnt