Dish Outdoors

57 minutes ago, LindaH said:

Can the Wally (which, apparently, is the only receiver offered for an Outdoors account), be used with the Trav'ler? 

Yep, and when you do, it magically turns into a 2-tuner receiver.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

15 hours ago, Zulu said:

Yep, and when you do, it magically turns into a 2-tuner receiver.

I have three Wally’s running on a Trav’ler antenna in my RV.  None of them magically became a two tuner receiver.  Can you explain how this magic happens?  Are you talking about adding a hard drive to the Wally and being able to watch a recorded show while it records something else?

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

2 minutes ago, Zulu said:

Ok so you meant by adding a hard drive to the unit.  I thought maybe there was something I wasn’t aware of and was missing out on.  I haven’t added external hard drives to any of my Wally’s so they are just regular single tuner boxes (even with the Trav’ler antenna).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

On 1/24/2022 at 11:47 AM, LindaH said:

Thanks, Zulu. 

Our Trav'ler is currently set up for a Hopper 3 receiver.  I'm assuming we will have to disconnect the DPH42 switch from the dish and set it back to it's original configuration.

I can't say what Dish is currently doing, but I have a Hopper w/Sling (H2) on my Outdoor account.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Do you own your Hopper or lease it?  We lease our Hopper 3 which I can see as being a problem when we switch from a home account to Dish Outdoors.  I want to be able to turn on Dish only during the time we're traveling in the winter and have it off the rest of the year.  Seems like I would have to continue paying at least the lease fee on the Hopper 3 during the time we were at home not using the Dish service.  It would probably be a cleaner break just to get the Wally although I'll miss the ability to tape shows while we're watching something else.  

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

11 hours ago, LindaH said:

Do you own your Hopper or lease it?  We lease our Hopper 3 which I can see as being a problem when we switch from a home account to Dish Outdoors.  I want to be able to turn on Dish only during the time we're traveling in the winter and have it off the rest of the year.  Seems like I would have to continue paying at least the lease fee on the Hopper 3 during the time we were at home not using the Dish service.  It would probably be a cleaner break just to get the Wally although I'll miss the ability to tape shows while we're watching something else.  

We own all of our Dish equipment, Linda. With leased equipment, you will need to terminate your plan and return the receivers. Then you'll need to purchase your own equipment to get the Outdoor account that lets you suspend service by just not paying the next month's bill.

Dutch

13 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

We own all of our Dish equipment, Linda. With leased equipment, you will need to terminate your plan and return the receivers. Then you'll need to purchase your own equipment to get the Outdoor account that lets you suspend service by just not paying the next month's bill.

That's what I thought.  

We're getting cable Internet installed next week.  Once it's installed, we're going to do a bunch of streaming to try it out and see if it will really work for us (we've been trying to use our Visible phone as a hotspot, with mixed results).  If it does, we'll cancel Dish and just use Dish Outdoors for those months in the winter that we are down in Arizona because we'll have no way of streaming (on the TV) while we're in the RV (we have a 12-volt TV that came with our 2014 Class C and I don't think it has an HDMI slot for our Amazon Fire Stick (although we haven't been down to the rig yet to check it out).

I'll miss the ability to tape shows while we're watching something else that we have with the Hopper 3, but I guess I'll learn to live with it! 😁

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

37 minutes ago, LindaH said:

That's what I thought.  

We're getting cable Internet installed next week.  Once it's installed, we're going to do a bunch of streaming to try it out and see if it will really work for us (we've been trying to use our Visible phone as a hotspot, with mixed results).  If it does, we'll cancel Dish and just use Dish Outdoors for those months in the winter that we are down in Arizona because we'll have no way of streaming (on the TV) while we're in the RV (we have a 12-volt TV that came with our 2014 Class C and I don't think it has an HDMI slot for our Amazon Fire Stick (although we haven't been down to the rig yet to check it out).

I'll miss the ability to tape shows while we're watching something else that we have with the Hopper 3, but I guess I'll learn to live with it! 😁

What dish have you been using with the H3? If it's a roof mounted Trav'ler or a portable tripod mounted full sized dish, you could still have at least a two tuner plus OTA recording capability with a Dish Wally plus an external hard drive. 

Oops! I forgot you had previously mentioned you have a Trav'ler...

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch

11 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

...you could still have at least a two tuner plus OTA recording capability with a Dish Wally plus an external hard drive. 

Although we have 2 TVs in the rig, we only watch one, so dual tuner capability wouldn't really be necessary.

However, recording capability *would* be of interest.  By "OTA recording capability" you mean recording OTA programs while watching a satellite program?  How easy would that be to set up for someone whose technical capability is limited?  And what kind of external hard drive would you recommend?  Is there someplace I can read about all of this?

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

In order to have the ability to record one show while watching another, your receiver will have to have more than one tuner.  For a Wally, you can add an OTA tuner.  To record, any external hard disk drive can be connected to the receiver via the USB port.  You have to pay to have the OTA added to the Wally.

https://www.dishformyrv.com/dish-wally-over-the-air-tuner/

https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/dish-wally-dual-tuner.379950/

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

Although we have 2 TVs in the rig, we only watch one, so dual tuner capability wouldn't really be necessary.

However, recording capability *would* be of interest.  By "OTA recording capability" you mean recording OTA programs while watching a satellite program?  How easy would that be to set up for someone whose technical capability is limited?  And what kind of external hard drive would you recommend?  Is there someplace I can read about all of this?

When a Wally is connected to a full sized double or triple LNB dish and equipped with an external USB hard drive, it enables two satellite tuners so you can watch one program while recording another. If you also add an optional 2-tuner OTA adapter, you could record up to four channels at once or watch on channel and record up to the three others.

Dutch

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

What do you recommend as a USB hard drive?

The Western Digital "My Book"drives are common choices for Dish receiver external hard  drives. There are some capacity variations among the various receiver models. Here's what Dish says about external hard drives: https://my.dish.com/support/use-ehd

Dutch

13 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The Western Digital "My Book"drives are common choices for Dish receiver external hard  drives. There are some capacity variations among the various receiver models. Here's what Dish says about external hard drives: https://my.dish.com/support/use-ehd

Thanks Dutch.  I've bookmarked all these sites and will go over them in detail later.  I won't have to worry about it for a few month yet since we won't be leaving for Arizona until the fall.  But I'd like to learn more before I have all the equipment sitting before me and wondering what the @#$&! do I do now? 😅

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 8:27 PM, LindaH said:

That's what I thought.  

Good luck to you! It does my heart good to hear when somebody is able to get  rid of DISH. 

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

30 minutes ago, RangeMaggotBob said:

Good luck to you! It does my heart good to hear when somebody is able to get  rid of DISH. 

I don't think we'll even need Dish Outdoors.  We went down to the rig a few days ago to check out the TV.  Although we couldn't see the HDMI ports because of the plate attached to the back for hanging on the wall, the Users Manual shows two HDMI ports -- which makes sense now that I think about it because when I switch from OTA to satellite, I have to select HDMI 1 for the satellite.

The only drawback to going 100% streaming is if we're in a place with no cell service (which we are occasionally) we won't be able to watch TV.  But that would only be for a day or two, so I think we can survive! 😜

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul