Trailer brake problem

genecolleen

We have a 2009 Volvo & 2014 New Horizon with a jackalopee. When we hooked up to make last move the trailer brake did not activate when I did my tug test. Checked on the road no trailer breaking. Where do I start to troubleshoot?

TIA Gene

<p>Gene & Colleen2009 Volvo 670 customized by Gregg RV Haulers, 2014 New Horizon 5th wheel, 2012 smart car on the deck. Full time 6/17/2014

Vmmonline.org

Gene,

First thing I'd do is pull the breakaway switch and see if the brakes are holding.  Assume you have hydraulic, so you'll hear the pump run.  If standard electric brakes, give 5th a tug to see if wheels skid. 

From there we can dig into one side or the other - let us know what you get.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Brakes apply with emergency breakaway. Good.  Jim's recommendation to wiggle the connector is a good place to start.  Might have someone step on the truck brakes while doing it and see if the brakes activate at any certain position.

To further isolate:  On the truck side, locate the connector's key.  Assuming it to be at the top, the bottom left pin is the truck ground.  The bottom right is the trailer brakes signal.  Attach a meter (on DC volts) or a test light between those bottom pins.  Have someone press the controller override or mash the brakes.  You should see the truck's full voltage or a bright light as this is open circuit voltage (no trailer plugged in).  This will check truck ground and controller output wire (blue) for the truck.

On the trailer side:  Hold the trailer connector with the key at the top.  The pin on the top-left is the trailer's 12VDC.  The brake pin is on the bottom-left.  Short those two together and the trailer's hydraulic brake controller should activate just as it did when you pulled the emergency breakaway.  

PM:  I recommend DeOxit contact cleaner/enhancer on both connectors. All sorts on Amazon.  Just a tiny bit of this stuff has worked well for me.  Pot a drop on both connectors and push them together and pull apart a couple of times.

https://www.amazon.com/DeoxITLiquid-squeeze-tube-100-solution/dp/B0015A5AAY/ref=sr_1_25?crid=37LBXSHQUAUNS&keywords=deoxit&qid=1640193034&sprefix=deoxit%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-25

Chet   

Edited by NeverEasy
typo

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist