Volvo d12 Valve cover advice.

Parrformance

The Fuel injector harness is showing leaking oil at the spot it enters the head just below the valve cover on the drivers side rear.

To me it looks as though the harness is one piece. I suspect the o-ring has failed at the passthrough.

Looks as though I will need to pull the valve cover, unplug the injector connectors and fish a new o-ring back on.

Will I be able to reuse the valve cover gasket, what else should I inspect and or replace while I am in there?

Thanks,

Michael

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

I ended up replacing my harness because it was leaking quite a bit but the Volvo dealership told me if its not leaking a lot you can silicone it and it will last awhile.  No harm in it leaking a little.  Replacement is around $2000 if I recall correctly.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Shortly after I made this post 5 years ago my oil leak was repaired with this Volvo kit.  I just did a search with Volvo and the part number and the current price is a little more than $300 plus labor. 

Nigel

I found out recently there is a repair harness for the Volvo VED 12. The Volvo number is 21625276. My mechanic has done one and it took him most of a day. The wires are all the same colour (white) on the kit. I believe he used an ohm meter to figure out which is which. It looks like you can get it in the US for under $300.

Edited by Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

10 hours ago, jeffw said:

This is a common failure, and I understand the only real fix is a new harness. Apparently a common failure mode is to have oil wicking up the harness into the ECU.

9 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

I ended up replacing my harness because it was leaking quite a bit but the Volvo dealership told me if its not leaking a lot you can silicone it and it will last awhile.  No harm in it leaking a little.  Replacement is around $2000 if I recall correctly.

I just replaced the harness and ECM. Do a x4 to SuiteSuccess  and that's the cost for it all with the labor to put in. At least in Grand Forks, ND. 

It would take me a bit to find the receipt, but it has the breakdown. 

I had noticed and commented to several mechanics over the past 5 years about it and the story of ruining the ECM, they all said wait until you have an issue....

I'm telling you now, don't wait. Have someone change the harness or get one and do it. The new harness does NOT fix the issue , but has a connector so you don't have to change the whole harness. At least that was what the Service Writer and the guy who took my money said. 

I had no problems for the first 700 miles after the change, then after the HDT Rally on the trip from Hays, KS to Concordia, MO I had the motor shut down (I think) and I saw a "No Data connection"  message on the screen. I was close to an exit and thought I could at least get off the Interstate  before I stopped. Low and behold, the engine started back up and I had no other problems for the remainder of the trip to Concordia. The next morning as I was going up the entrance ramp to I 70 another never before seen message came up on the screen. Something about data connection but the truck was still running and climbing well. By the time I got on the interstate the message was gone and I engaged the cruise control and it stayed on all the way to St. Louis. (It shut off with the first episode). I pressed my luck twice on the way to my destination in Cape Girardeau, MO, but apparently I had to pay the price by being forced to suffer with 2 full weeks of Full Blown COVID.  Two urgent care visits, two visits  to the ER (One not necessary, but I used another Urgent care (the one recommended by the first ER visit). In any event I had two CT scans of my chest to prove I had some pneumonia. I am recovered almost completely now, but when I see the bills I may have another different problem. I have paid for a BC/BS single policy for over 10 years and haven't used it. Now a few months before my "Medicare" kicks in I use it. Just the luck. 

Rod

Edited by lappir
wrote hours ago but just found it not posted.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Glad you are well, I recently replaced the ECM with a used one.  The harness is just leaking slightly at the point it passes through the head.  I believe I can pull the valve cover, disconnect the injectors, pull the harness out and replaced the failed o-ring.

I will likely however add some Right Stuff gasket material first to stop/slow the leak.

With 3000 miles being a heavy travel year, I suspect some gasket material will buy me a couple of years.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee