5th Wheel 7-way receptacle one in bed of truck and the other on bumper.

Ski

No prior problem. When we hooked up to leave a few weeks ago, no electric trailer brakes and the left turn signal worked. Repositioned the trailer plug to the 7-way connection on the bumper, had brakes but no left turn signal. All else works.

Checked voltage on the truck bed receptacle, shows voltage when brakes are applied and also voltage when left turn signal is on. Same with the receptacle on the bumper. Shows voltage when brakes are applied and when left turn signal is on. Cleaned connections and checked plug going to 5th wheel, inside some of the connections were corroded and I changed the plug, did not help.

Has me has me stumped. What is going on here?

Al    2004 Dodge ram 3500 and 2008 HR 5th wheel

Have you removed the vinyl trim along the top that holds the roof material down and added screws in any empty holes? I had a similar problem with my HitchHiker fiver. I had just replaced the vinyl inserts in the rubber roof sidewall metal trim and noticed empty holes. I figured the more the better so inadvertently had shorted the running light wires and taillight wires. If you haven't added any screws disregard. On your fiver emergency breakaway switch check wires and function. When you pull out the pin all the brakes should lock up or be activated. Check cable splicers to the brakes underneath as well and that no wires were snagged. Grounds can cause weird stuff in 12 volt systems like that too.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On the left turn, have you checked the trailer side of this? I have a 2003 Dodge and it has relays that supply the power to the turn signals so if the two plugs share the same supply that turn signal could be from the relay on the truck's electronic circuit board. If you look at item 46 on this diagram you will see the Trailer Tow Right Turn Relay, which did have to be replaced on my truck.

Where neither plug works for it but the brakes do from the bumper would make me think that it is the trailer. For the brake problem, a volt meter only shows part of the problem as the voltage applied to the brakes will vary depending on several things but with nothing connected to the plug you will always read source voltage. You need to read the voltage applied to the brakes when they are connected to know for sure what is happening. In most cases the two plugs connect into the same wire harness since only 1 plug is used at a time, so the brake problem must be between the faulty plug and the truck. I am unable to find any wire diagrams for the harness.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI