Volvo D12 Low coolant shutdown

oletimer

We are out in the desert by Bull Head City, Az., and everything was fine when we dry camped here 3 weeks ago.  I have started the truck several times, and let in idle for as much as 15-20 minutes.  wanted to head out tomorrow AM, so drove the truck to town for fuel. Got the 1st warning after about 20 miles, lost power, but engine didn't shut down until a full stop.  Low coolant error code, so cleared the code after making sure coolant not low, fired it up, and took off.  Got fuel, and headed back to camp to load up.  In the next 25 miles, we had several more shut downs.  After looking more closely, I noticed the radiator tank, was full on the bottom passenger side, but dry on the lower driver side.  Could it be just the sensor?  I think this happened once about 10-12 years ago, and I just replaced the sensor, after I crossed wired the terminals until I got a few miles to a Petro. But if I remember correctly, both bottom tanks were full. No Volvo dealers close by, and after 3 weeks the 5th RV has some tanks full, and some empty.  Any Ideas???  Thanks, oletimer  

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Rocky, I did as instructed, and just returned from a 35 mile test run, with NO error codes.  We are going to hook up and give it a try.  Rocky, I'm sure with the work you guys do, you have been a blessing for many, and now you can add 1 more to that list. We have in the past tried some missionary work, not on your scale for sure, but too old now.  I think we were blessed more than those we helped. Sermon over!! Thanks again, and stay safe.  Dick & Susan.

Edited by oletimer

2016 Space Craft 37'

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

A bit on and off topic.  What code reader is best for these Volvo engines?  I have a D13 DPF.  Dont want to buy  something just for the Volvo if possible, rather would prefer a multi purpose, auto/truck and big truck.  I am assuming something like that exists.  If not then some input from those experienced ones is appreciated.  

Marcel

When our D13 was doing that, it turned out there is a float inside the tank that gets stuck.  The temporary fix might be to bang on the tank.  I think disconnecting the sensor did not work.  I didn’t try jumper-ing it.  Had to have the tank replaced.  Pretty easy job to do yourself, but on a D12 I’m only guessing it might be similar.

Edited by Sculptor

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

On 11/1/2021 at 12:11 AM, HERO Maker said:

Your tanks are fine.  Try unplugging the sensor.  If that doesn't work, plug it back in.  Good luck.

2016 Space Craft 37'

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Just now, oletimer said:

Rocky, It worked, Thanks, Dick T

2016 Space Craft 37'

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

On 11/2/2021 at 12:21 PM, oletimer said:

Rocky, It worked, Thanks, Dick T

Dick, if simply unplugging that sensor worked, then you still need to replace it.  You want a good sensor to protect you from a draining coolant situation.  If connecting back was the move that fixed it, then you are good to go!  Stay blessed.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg