Semi Truck to RV Hauler

roofman

I'm going to assume by "simi truck", you mean a road tractor.  That is, a vehicle use exclusively to pull a semi-trailer, and no load bearing bed on the tow vehicle.

It is very difficult to do in California, perhaps impossible now, what with all the emissions regs.  But, you can buy a previously converted rig and import it.  If you aren't sure what you want, that would be the easiest and cheapest way.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Personally I would contact Chad Heiser. He is a police officer in California and he tows with an HDT.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

• Phil D changed the title to Semi Truck to RV Hauler
12 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Personally I would contact Chad Heiser. He is a police officer in California and he tows with an HDT.

Second that.  Chad is also on several of the HDT Facebook groups as well.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I was off line for the last two weeks out at the coast in one of our favorite RV parks.  We love the area, but there is no cell signal to be had at the park and the park WiFi is not much better.  Roofman did send me a pm and I responded to him.  For the rest of the group, I will say it is technically illegal to convert a road tractor to RV title in California.  There are specific codes that prevent it and there has even been a court case on the subject that upheld the codes.  Of course that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t happen.  There are still a few people who have gotten it through, but it is typically done by importing an HDT with an RV title from another state.  Even then it is still a crap shot on who you go to to get it registered and verified.  Sometime in the last few years, the state even updated the VIN verification form with a statement saying you can’t convert a road tractor to RV.  Not great news for prospective California HDTers.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg