Did something really stupid Sunday

Wrknrvr

On Sunday the wife and I went for a bike ride. The peddle kind. Went to the Flathead lake, then on the way back I wanted to ride on a rails to trails path along a wooded area.

So I said to the wife what are those tracks from. She said a horse. There were animal tracks of considerable size going down the path. But they were not horse tracks. So on the way back I stopped and looked at the tracks. Apparently a bear had been in a pond and then decided to walk on the paved trail with muddy paws. So I had my bear spray can with the safety off.

Do not drop bear spray can with safety off while looking at bear tracks. It mite just spray you when it hits a hard surface when you drop it. Once you get just a whiff of bear spray from the can you dropped your coughing will tell the bear exactly where you are.

Yep did a dumb thing,   Vern

on a side note we had seen bobcat tracks and mountain lion tracks that were muddy on the same path earlier this summer.

2 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

on a side note we had seen bobcat tracks and mountain lion tracks that were muddy on the same path earlier this summer.

Yet you keep going back. Is that your dumb thing? :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

10 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Do not drop bear spray can with safety off while looking at bear tracks.

I kept my bear spray on the bottom of my backpack, strapped in with some built in bungie.  I was at a stop light on a busy road in my home town but fortunately it wasn't busy at that moment.  Backpack was in the back seat.  I reached back to retrieve something else in the back seat and discharged some bear spray into the cab of the truck.  I had to make an emergency exit across two (empty) lanes of traffic to a parking lot so we could bail out and enjoy our coughing fit.