Tire Load Ratings

Zulu

We're looking at getting new tires for our-soon-to-be 2001 National RV Sea View which needs 245/70R 19.5" tires.

So I checked out Toyo, Michelin, and Americus, especially the tire load ratings. For example, Toyo M143s have a 136/134 Load Rating which means when used as singles, each tire can support 4,938 (the 136) pounds. But when used in duals, each tire can only support 4,674 (the 134) pounds.

This looked fantastic at first because -- check my math -- the front axle rating of our 2001 Sea View is 7,000 pounds. So all things being equal, that's 3,500 pounds per front tire. Looks great, as each of my front tires would have 1,438 (4,938 - 3,500) pounds to spare.

My rear axle gross rating is 13,500 pounds total or 6,750 pounds per set of duels. Again, two of these Toyos are rated at 9,876 (4,938 x 2) pounds so plenty of room to spare, right?

However, if one of the rear tires when flat, does that mean that the single tire left on one side could only support 4,674 pounds or 9,348 (4,674 x 2) pounds?

Edited by Zulu

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

It would appear that you have it right. If one tire in a pair of duals should go flat it does through the entire weight for the pair on the remaining tire. That is one of the reasons that it is so important to not continue any longer than possible on the single tire and to slow down. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Your math appears right to me. Try not to over-think this, people have been riding on duals for decades in Greyhound bus's and MH's,

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961