Oil sampling

Rotorhead

Hello all,

I had bought a 2010 Volvo 780 back in June. They said they did an oil sample before I went out there and that they hadn't heard anything back and that that is good news usually.

I went ahead and bought a kit through AMSOIL and sent it in. I thought it got lost so I ordered another and sent that in. Well wouldn't you know it I got the results back from both in the same week. Both were in the normal range, one at 0 and the other at 1. The one that was at one was only for a slight elevation in tin. Everything else was good.

I thought that was pretty good considering the engine has 890,000 miles on it and hasn't been rebuilt as far as I know. There are, however. a number of small things that have been disconnected and left that way in the engine bay.

Anyway, does anyone else do sampling? If so, have you used AMSOIL or would you recommend another place?

Thanks,

Chuck

If you're only showing a little tin in an engine with almost 900K, you're doing dang well.  I perform OAs on a regular basis for my commercial truck.  I use Blackstone. 

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

We use Blackstone labs also. Every oil change for the past 10 years. They always refer back to previous tests and give us comments on what they see if any changes. I keep a couple of their sample kits in the truck, just give the bottle to the mechanic doing the oil change and then drop it off at the post office with a check, postage is handled by Blackstone.  By sure to read their frequently ask questions for a few good laughs. 

Edited by Star Dreamer

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

i work at a Cat dealership, They all process samples in there own labs, all the fleets that use sampling would almost always catch problems early the most important thing is to do it every time you change your oil and try to stick with the same lab because its all about trending. You will see certain levels trend up before there is a failure. Also good interpretation from the lab of the various elements.