Used Turnkey Volvos available?

travelrider73

Hi everyone!

I am in the market for a tow vehicle and I'm curious to learn where people are advertising turnkey Volvos -- or if anyone in this forum has a lead on one.  

I'm about to go look at a used 5th wheel and really hope I love it as much as I think I will.  The folks who own it also have a very nice F550 with hauler bed for sale, but I really think I would prefer an HDT Volvo.  I am not flush enough with cash to order one from Volvo brand new.  I'm going to get in contact with RVH Lifestyles and have a chat with them, but I'm also curious to learn of any leads or other ways to find HDTs that may already be set up.  I'm sure people are trading up or calling it quits from time to time... 

Thanks a bunch!

2006 Volvo VNL630
5th Wheel TBD

I'd start by looking in the "Rigs for Sale" section of this forum.  Several of us have traded up or down in the past year, but I don't know of any for sale at the moment.  The truck market is hot right now, just like everything else.  If you don't mind waiting a bit, the market will go into another down cycle, eventually.

The F-550 might be a good fit for the 5er you're looking at.  You didn't give much info........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

I'd start by looking in the "Rigs for Sale" section of this forum.  Several of us have traded up or down in the past year, but I don't know of any for sale at the moment.  The truck market is hot right now, just like everything else.  If you don't mind waiting a bit, the market will go into another down cycle, eventually.

The F-550 might be a good fit for the 5er you're looking at.  You didn't give much info........

It's a 40 foot New Horizons, so... not the lightest rig by far!  The 550 is what it was being towed with.  It's probably fine, but I bet that 550 will beat you to death compared to a Volvo.  Plus, pulling through the Rockies, I'd feel more secure with an HDT.  That 550 is also Gen 1 6.7 Diesel.  Not as bad as it's predecessor but apparently there were still some kinks being worked out.  I'm really on the fence about the 550, but on the other hand he's asking $50k for it and it only has 36k miles on it... completely set up to be a tow vehicle.

2006 Volvo VNL630
5th Wheel TBD

We will be out of the country for the next three weeks, but when we return our entire rig will be on the market.

1999 Volvo VNL 610 singled; smart deck; 633k miles.

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire; 37 ft.; MorRyde Independent suspension on 9K axles installed in 2017; 8 new Michelin R16 XPS ribs in 2019 with about 4,500 miles since then.

2013 smart Passion with City Flame Pkg. 23k miles.

e-mail for more details: xk120OTS@hotmail.com

The trailer suffered from the last two years in the Arizona sun, so it needs paint. Interior is as close to new as possible.

Located in Tucson, AZ

$50k for the entire rig, less $10k for new paint= $40,000 for all 3!

Volvo, smart, Newmar.jpg

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

2 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Thanks Jay!  Interestingly, there is one for sale within 2 hours of my house that might be a good fit...  I just don't know what has happened to market pricing since I last looked and the one for sale seems a little old and antiquated for the asking price....   I might post separately about the specific unit to get people's thoughts.  Thanks again.

2006 Volvo VNL630
5th Wheel TBD

10 minutes ago, Dennis M said:

We will be out of the country for the next three weeks, but when we return our entire rig will be on the market.

1999 Volvo VNL 610 singled; smart deck; 633k miles.

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire; 37 ft.; MorRyde Independent suspension on 9K axles installed in 2017; 8 new Michelin R16 XPS ribs in 2019 with about 4,500 miles since then.

2013 smart Passion with City Flame Pkg. 23k miles.

e-mail for more details: xk120OTS@hotmail.com

The trailer suffered from the last two years in the Arizona sun, so it needs paint. Interior is as close to new as possible.

Located in Tucson, AZ

$50k for the entire rig, less $10k for new paint= $40,000 for all 3!

Volvo, smart, Newmar.jpg

I'll send you an e-mail!  Thanks.

2006 Volvo VNL630
5th Wheel TBD

On 9/4/2021 at 11:12 PM, travelrider73 said:

Thanks Jay!  Interestingly, there is one for sale within 2 hours of my house that might be a good fit...  I just don't know what has happened to market pricing since I last looked and the one for sale seems a little old and antiquated for the asking price....   I might post separately about the specific unit to get people's thoughts.  Thanks again.

Cars and trucks are wildly overpriced given the current market conditions and scarcity of almost everything. I know new cars are about 7 million units behind, mostly due to chip shortages. Used cars follow the lack of new cars available to buy, pushing used car pricing sky high. I'm assuming truck shortages are somehow related. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

Well everyone!  We bought one already!  I don't know how the stars aligned so quickly because I've heard of people shopping for a year and not finding what they wanted...  A Volvo VNL630 that was already converted pretty much landed right in our lap and was 3 hours from our house.  We had been searching for one for less than a day when we found it!  Lucky us!

I was going to attach a picture, but I guess I have to figure out how to put the photo somewhere else put a link here... and it's after midnight, so -- next time.  

The new rig is now my avatar picture... at least the front end of it is.

Edited by travelrider73

2006 Volvo VNL630
5th Wheel TBD