Extended stay- Oregon & Washington region suggestions

trimster

We're currently in Albany, Or. Headed to Washington state. Looking for suggestions on where (city) to stay for a month in or around Northern Oregon or Washington. 

We like museums, local activities,  motorcycle riding, good eateries. 

Suggestions welcome.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Robert, I live just outside the little town of Madras in Central Oregon.  There are some great rides around here but I much prefer Eastern Oregon around the John Day area.  

Do you like dry camping?  If so, I know a great lake just north of John Day at 5000 foot level (cooler). Also some really great rides around there.

PM me if you want more info.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

13 minutes ago, lenp said:

Robert, I live just outside the little town of Madras in Central Oregon.  There are some great rides around here but I much prefer Eastern Oregon around the John Day area.  

Do you like dry camping?  If so, I know a great lake just north of John Day at 5000 foot level (cooler). Also some really great rides around there.

PM me if you want more info.

Lenp

Thanks.

We tried to get an rv site in John Day a few weeks back. No such luck. Ended up in Prineville.  Nice spot for a week or so. Wonderful rock & gem show while we were there.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

We spent a lot of time in the Astoria OR area and kept quite busy. It may be difficult to get into, but check out Ft Stephens State Park.

Ya, they are booked. So we are staying on the Washington side in Ocean Park/Oysterville. That gives us a 20 min ride into Astoria which is fine.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

1 hour ago, trimster said:

Thanks for the suggestion.

Don't miss the Columbia River Maritime Museum, at Ft Stephens SP there is a museum and also guided tours of the old fort that was built in the civil war and upgraded in WWII. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

So we landed in Ocean Park, Wa.

Oyseter heaven! 

Here for a week then need to be in Vancouver for a few days to get our Can Am trike serviced.

Although our next stop is Olympia,  might change that and come back here. Very chill. 30 min to Astoria. Hmmmmm.

JN7zuqZl.jpg

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

If you guys are retirees there's Camp Rilea a great combined reserve base in Warrenton just about an hour S of Astoria. https://www.militarycampgrounds.us/oregon/camp-rilea

The RV sites have good electric water and sewer or dump. The base isn't the thing but a good marina with tuna and prawn boats coming in and we bought cheap from the boats. We liked driving over to the Washington side too for more Lewis and Clark, forts, and lighthouses.

We always drove around the peninsula to Tacoma and stayed at McChord AFB. Fort Lewis was building their then new RV Park on the lake on post. That was back in 1998 or so. We really liked the Hoh national park and rainforest trails. Their campground was a bit small for our 36 foot fiver and 1 Ton dually Ram diesel. But there's a nice TV park just outside the gates with the biggest sweetest blackberries to pick. We tried to time it so on the wayout or back we would catch the weekend of the  "Wooden Ships Festival" in Port Townsend. We stayed at Evergreen SKP Coop several times and enjoyed it.

I hope the fires aren't down there.

Safe travels!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire