New gas can not fully assembled

gascan2.JPGtyetgascan1.JPG

New Justrite metal can arrived, but handle not attached properly with pin.  Assuming customer no-service will take a week to get back to me, anybody have one of these cans? Can you advise me on how I'm supposed to attach the pin so it doesn't just flop around in there?  Best I can tell I'm supposed to beat it in with a hammer.  Or replace with a coat hanger.

I'm not interested in packing it up and sending it back, although I probably should, considering what these things cost.  If I know Amazon, they may just ship a new one no charge since I'm a long time customer.

Edited by hemsteadc

Mine are quite old (30 years?), but I'll took at that pin in mine tomorrow. I think it is a compression pin (split on one side). If it is a compression pin it will be sticking out on the other side.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

If that is a roll pin as Ray suggests then it is intended to be a very tight fit where it goes through the red on your can and loose on the chrome parts.  Maybe not defective but impossible to tell just by a photo. I've sold thousands of roll pins or split pins or compression pins or whatever you want to call them over my years working in sales for 30 years. 

JMO for what its worth. Bob

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

14 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I'm not interested in packing it up and sending it back, although I probably should, considering what these things cost.

My first step would be to contact Justrite (the actual seller).  I had a problem with a fan i bought on Amazon.  I contacted the manufacturer directly and they took care of it immediately.

1-800-798-9250 - Fax 1-800-488-5877 - custserv@justrite.com

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

15 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I'm not interested in packing it up and sending it back, although I probably should,

You might not have to send it back as Amazon does have some stores that accept returns for them. We had an item to return and just yesterday took it to a Kohls store where they accepted it for Amazon and 2 hours later I was notified that our money was refunded. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I remember getting a can last year that had a dent in it, and trying to return it.  Gas cans are not returnable, so Amazon simply sent another.  I wonder if they'll do that again.  I seem to have rather bad luck with these things.

Maybe I'll buy an Eagle can next time.  Why am I buying cans again? I had 3 full cans stolen at Mecca Beach CG in February.  

Edited by hemsteadc

My old can has a steel 3/16"X 1" strap handle held on with a steel rivet. After seeing your picture and looking at mine, mine appears cheaper made than yours. I also have a 1G JustRite can I use for 2-cycle gas and used to carry in my truckbed when we had a 5er and used a 3600W Boily genset for power when boondocking.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

9 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

Wow.. Amazon is so easy.

I tried to return it, but got a message saying it's not returnable.  I clicked on more help and got a chat bot that refunded my money after answering a few questions.  

Thank you Jeff Bezos.

And THAT is why I like Amazon despite its other shortcomings. I have never had a problem returning an item that was defective, not as described, or not delivered on time. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

17 hours ago, Chalkie said:

And THAT is why I like Amazon despite its other shortcomings. I have never had a problem returning an item that was defective, not as described, or not delivered on time. 

I've been shopping Amazon since the late 90s. In all that time the only problem I've ever had was when UPS or FedEx hands off to the USPS for the 'last mile.'  And oddly, it's often packages that are too big to go in my mailbox and I have to drive to the post office.   

By contrast, I recently ordered a Honda generator from the White Cap company, a business I found searching for a place close to AZ to get it here in a few days.  After 3 days there was no shipping and no response.  No email response, no online form response, no text response, and the telephone greeting said they were too busy to answer the phone. "Leave a message and we'll call you back."  Sure.  The only way I was able to connect with them was through a comment on a Facebook ad they put on my page.  It took them 10 days to respond and refund my money because they no longer carry the item and haven't updated their website.  I'm thinking this is a walk-in business doing online ordering as a sideline.

It's not hard to understand why Amazon's stock is $3,000 a share.

Edited by hemsteadc