Camera Cable Replacement

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

In 2014, I installed a 4 camera system on our 5th wheel and 1 camera on the truck.  The connector cable was similar to the pic below but is was a 3 camera system on the RV.  I have replaced 2 of the coil cables and spliced in a 6-way round plug and receptacle.  The last cable got chewed recently by squirrels or birds and I need a replacement that is more durable than what's shown below.

Suggestions?

Camnex Heavy Duty Trailer Cable Coil Quick Connect Disconnect Kit with 2 AV Input for Backup Camera System

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim, assume these are the umbilical cables between the fifth and truck. 

We use a the standard 7 pin RV connector/cable for our three cameras. Has worked well for five years with no discernable signal degradation.  Has advantage of being relatively cheap and common part.  I spray the connector and receptacle every year or so with Boeshield T9 to fight corrosion.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

My voyager system uses commercial 7 pin round connecters and a commercial coil cable between them.  It is very durable and has been in use on the truck for nearly 9 years with no degradation (but not full time use).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

22 hours ago, Jim & Wilma said:

Jim, assume these are the umbilical cables between the fifth and truck. 

We use a the standard 7 pin RV connector/cable for our three cameras. Has worked well for five years with no discernable signal degradation.  Has advantage of being relatively cheap and common part.  I spray the connector and receptacle every year or so with Boeshield T9 to fight corrosion.

I hadn't thought about using a standard 7-way type connector. How did you wire from the individual camera cables to the 7pin?  

19 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

My voyager system uses commercial 7 pin round connecters and a commercial coil cable between them.  It is very durable and has been in use on the truck for nearly 9 years with no degradation (but not full time use).

Thanks Chad, 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim, I used one of these cable assemblies for the fifth wheel side and a companion receptacle on the truck side.
Each of our cameras have the following 4 wires:

1. Power (+12 vdc)
  2. Ground
  3. Video
  4. Audio

I tied all the camera Power wires to a single terminal and likewise with the Ground wires to another terminal. That leaves 5 of the 7 terminals for video and audio.  In our case we have three videos and I didn’t tie in any of the audios, so we’re left with two unused terminals. On both the truck and fifth wheel I used terminal strips in weather proof enclosures to combine and breakout the wires. 

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

23 hours ago, Jim & Wilma said:

Jim, I used one of these cable assemblies for the fifth wheel side and a companion receptacle on the truck side.
Each of our cameras have the following 4 wires:

1. Power (+12 vdc)
  2. Ground
  3. Video
  4. Audio

I tied all the camera Power wires to a single terminal and likewise with the Ground wires to another terminal. That leaves 5 of the 7 terminals for video and audio.  In our case we have three videos and I didn’t tie in any of the audios, so we’re left with two unused terminals. On both the truck and fifth wheel I used terminal strips in weather proof enclosures to combine and breakout the wires. 

Thank you!  As soon as I read about using a 7-way cable, I figured a terminal strip would work.  Putting on in the enclosure would be nice.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins