Full Time RV Insurance Companies?

aztex

Hi,

I'm currently with Progressive via Miller. I've found Miller difficult to get in touch with. They never answer the phone and call back maybe a day later. So I've been having to work with Progressive directly.

I was told I'm paying a premium as Miller gets a commission which they are not earning in my case. Progressive honors this and despite Miller not helping wont give me a break for me doing all the work. I think I can get a better rate.

Any advice on other insurance companies I can shop around as a full time RV'er?

Thanks!

To me only one answer, FCIS, who is an agent for many companies. They know and understand RV'ng and fulltime RV'ng

https://www.fcisinsurance.com/

Bob & Jo
Full-timing since 09/10/2009 - SKP 99512
2015 Lifestyle LS38RS

2010 Ford F-350
Our blog: http://bobandjotravelblog.blogspot.com/
Our travel photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobandjotravel/sets/

I was with Miller for years, and they placed me with Nationwide. About 3 years ago Nationwide doubled their premium. I switched to Geico for my Class A (full time policy) Jeep, Harley, 3 rental properties (landlords policy) and an umbrella policy and saved a ton. They have no agents, and pass the savings on to you. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

4 hours ago, jimnlin said:

Give National General a call, we have three vehicles insured with them.

Jim

I doubt you are living full time in three vehicles which is what aztex is asking for.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I doubt you are living full time in three vehicles which is what aztex is asking for.

Linda

I am living full time and have four vehicles insured with Geico, my motorhome (full timers policy) my Jeep and two Harley’s. I also have 3 rental properties (landlord policy) and an umbrella with Geico. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On 3/2/2021 at 8:40 AM, aztex said:

I'm currently with Progressive via Miller. I've found Miller difficult to get in touch with. They never answer the phone and call back maybe a day later.

I was with Miller for several years, and started having the same problems you're having and in 2014 switched to Thum Insurance.  https://thuminsurance.com/

I'm currently with Progressive through Thum.  The only claim I've ever filed was for a windshield, and that was handled fine (and I know windshield claims are pretty much a no-brainer, but that's all I've had, and I'm not sure Thum was even involved).  But I've adjusted my coverage during my time with them, and never had a problem getting someone on the phone, and emails (which I prefer) were answered quickly. 

I will suggest, however, that you shop around.  I found that going directly to the "mothership" instead of through an agent didn't necessarily mean a lower premium for the same coverage with the same company, which definitely surprised me. 

And I noticed in another thread you were wondering if when you submit an address change (to Livingston) you'll "have to proclaim" you're a fulltimer.  You definitely want to proclaim you're a fulltimer.  For one, that will mean that you and the insurance company understand and agree on what you're doing.  And for another, it will mean that your policy will include fulltimer's personal liability coverage (mine is $89/year); most people get personal liability coverage as part of their homeowner's or renter's insurance, but fulltimer RVers don't have homeowner's or renter's insurance. 

You should also look into how much personal effects coverage is included in your policy, since you won't have anything covered under a homeowner's or renter's policy.  In my case, I have a "general" amount of personal effects coverage, but in my Progressive policy, some individual types of items aren't covered if they're worth over $500.  So for fancy bicycles and computers that are worth more than that, I have them insured as "valuable personal property," and I had to submit a receipt for each of them.  That coverage is cheap--the premium is less than 1% of the item's value. 

I remember that on some quotes I was getting, I would specify the amount of general personal effects coverage (not the valuable personal property--that's a specialized part of the process), but on a Geico quote I got in 2014, it included only $1,000 of personal effects coverage, and the only reason I noticed was I have a spreadsheet where, for every quote I get, I enter the premium for each element of coverage (collision, comprehensive, fulltimer liability, etc., along with the deductible) in addition to the total premium, to double-check that I'm getting the coverage I think I am. 

It also makes it easy to track what caused a premium increase--like when my premium with National Interstate through Miller jumped over $500 on renewal.  I realized that $471 of that was due to an increase in the premium for comprehensive coverage.  Apparently National Interstate was adjusting its premiums to reflect high comprehensive claims it had experienced in Texas; it had nothing to do with me personally, so I wasn't "mad" at National Interstate.  (I think a lot of people don't understand why premiums can rise even if they haven't filed a claim.)

The spreadsheet is also how I found out that the Geico policy didn't include fulltimer's liability, which at the time they didn't offer in Texas.  They said they considered it a fulltimer's policy because it covered use 365 days a year, and I countered that if it didn't include the personal liability element, it wasn't a true fulltimer's policy.  My impression is that they now do offer the fulltimer's personal liability coverage in Texas, so that problem may be solved, but it's the sort of thing you have to look out for when getting quotes, and is why I recommend that people never just look at the total premium, and should always ask for the breakdown if they don't get it automatically.