Review Fuses: ANL vs. Class T vs. MEGA vs. ?

SuiteSuccess

Would appreciate if any of you electrical gurus would review the above fuses as to appropriate situation to use each fuse, advantages/disadvantages of each.  Specifically in inverter, generator, solar applications.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The sole purpose of any fuse is to guard against over current.  All of the above will accomplish that.  What begins to make a difference in fuses is the time it takes to open when an over current condition occurs.  Thus, we have both fast acting, slo-blow and some in between.  Secondary is location (inside, outside, wet, dry, ambient temperature, ease of replacement, etc.)  I personally do not see any need to go beyond an ANL or possibly a Mega fuse with a weather tight cover for anything on our trucks or trailers.  Each are inexpensive and easy to replace.  Now, if I were supplying high current power at a voltage much greater than our 13-14 volts to sensitive medical equipment I would be more particular about selecting a fuse type - most likely a class T or better.  You may find the Class T too fast acting for battery to inverter protection where you are often maxing to the surge current.   Bottom line - buy which ever fuse type gives you the most comfort for a restful nights sleep.  All of my "big" fuses are ANL, which typically act faster than a "Mega" fuse but slower than a "T".

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

21 minutes ago, RandyA said:

The sole purpose of any fuse is to guard against over current.  All of the above will accomplish that.  What begins to make a difference in fuses is the time it takes to open when an over current condition occurs.  Thus, we have both fast acting, slo-blow and some in between.  Secondary is location (inside, outside, wet, dry, ambient temperature, ease of replacement, etc.)  I personally do not see any need to go beyond an ANL or possibly a Mega fuse with a weather tight cover for anything on our trucks or trailers.  Each are inexpensive and easy to replace.  Now, if I were supplying high current power at a voltage much greater than our 13-14 volts to sensitive medical equipment I would be more particular about selecting a fuse type - most likely a class T or better.  You may find the Class T too fast acting for battery to inverter protection where you are often maxing to the surge current.   Bottom line - buy which ever fuse type gives you the most comfort for a restful nights sleep.  All of my "big" fuses are ANL, which typically act faster than a "Mega" fuse but slower than a "T".

Thanks Randy.  I was hoping you would jump in because you give great explanations.  Wish I had known this 10 years ago because I put  a class T in my inverter line and if I recall it was pretty pricey.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

22 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

What type of fuse does the inverter manufacture recommend? That’s usually a good place to start.

I always start with what the manufacturer recommends.  For example, straight from the Magnum 3012 Inverter owners manual:  "If a fuse is used as an overcurrent device, a Class-T type or equivalent is highly recommended."  They go on to recommend the fuse size be 400A.

Victron, on the other hand, is less specific.  They simply state (for a 12 volt 3000 watt multiplus):  "Recommended DC Fuse - 400A" and (for a 24 volt 3000 watt multiplus):  "Recommended DC Fuse - 300A"

Edited by Chad Heiser

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg