Has anyone polished their countertops?

We recently bought a 2020 Winnebago Vista and we have scratches around the sink.  I think they took it to an RV show and lord knows what happened.  My information says they are Thermoform countertops.  Has anyone buffed scratches out of their countertops?  I goggled Thermoform countertops and it appears that that is a process and not a manufactures name.

Edited by MarciaElkins
Added information

Can you feel the scratches if you run your fingernail lightly over them?
If so, then the scratches are into the surface.
If into the surface then repair could be approached from a couple of directions.

But it depends.  Is the surface finish a gloss? or matte finish?

Our Lance was in the shop for a couple of weeks and the gloss countertop, which was previously smooth, had a rough texture to it - like an overspray had gotten on to it.  I could feel it but could not see it.  Needless to say, we were very disappointed.  

However, I happened to have some Menzerna polishing compound (purchased during a past life) and I was able to rub out the texture feel.

Scratches into the surface could be rubbed out if it's a gloss finish.  If matte, no.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

13 minutes ago, Rich&Sylvia said:

Can you feel the scratches if you run your fingernail lightly over them?
If so, then the scratches are into the surface.
If into the surface then repair could be approached from a couple of directions.

But it depends.  Is the surface finish a gloss? or matte finish?

We had the RV for one weekend and then it was back to the shop to get the suspension upgraded.  I'm pretty sure gloss and I'll have to do the fingernail check when we get it back.  I looked at YouTube video but it gave me the heebie geebies.  I may just live with the scratches.

Google search for "ThermoForm" led to trade names like Corian and Quartzite. Get ahold of a local kitchen installer for an opinion. I'd be chasing the dealership, too. A lot of the nicer kitchen countertops have a scratch warranty.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

It's under the OEM warranty tell the dealer to fix the problems.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

14 hours ago, MarciaElkins said:

I may just live with the scratches.

You need to discuss this with your dealer while you have it in the shop. If he doesn't resolve it then contact Winnebago and see what they say. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If the counters are "solid surface" material similar to Corian they can be polished with this:  Corian polishing and repair kit

It's tedious and rather slow going if the scratches are at all deep, but you can restore some luster to the countertop.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels