Grand Design - - ?

Av8r3400

Who has one?  Considering a Grand Design Momentum.

I know it's not a New Horizon or DRV level quality, but how has everyone done with these?  Tell me the good and bad...

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

We have a few come through our RV park every summer. Haven't heard anything bad about them, but nobody raving about them, either. Most of them aren't in full time use, I suspect, but summer long or shorter. Haven't looked at the weight capacity, or tank sizes.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We don't have a Momentum, but we're in our second Grand Design fifth wheel. Our first 4-1/2 years full-time were in a Reflection 337RLS. It came off the line in 2015 a few months before auto-leveling became standard on the Reflections, but it served us very well. When we made the decision to stay on the road as long as possible, we upgraded to a Solitude 310GK-R (construction similar to a Momentum but without a garage) with solar, dual pane windows, residential fridge, slide toppers, and everything we thought we'd need as we get older (especially the auto-leveling and slide toppers!). We are extremely happy with it. We feel that the quality is acceptable - but  the thing that sets GD apart for us is the customer service. On the few occasions we've had (minor) warranty issues (all on the Reflection - none with the Solitude), GD authorized a mobile tech to come to us and paid for it. PM me with an email address if you have more questions.

Rob

Edited by Second Chance
Correct typo

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Thanks for the insight, Rob!  

We aren’t full timers (and don’t plan to be) but want a coach that will survive some planned extended trips in the future.  

Spending DRV or New Horizon money for non-full time use is not realistic. 

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

• 2 months later...

We have a Solitude 377MBS. We purchased new 3 years ago. Prior to that has a DRV Mobile Suites that was very high quality, especially running gear. Fit and finish and even overall construction is not as heavy or nice as our DRV. However, for our family the setup was very nice. We have pulled it several thousand miles and enjoyed every minute of it. I will second Grand Design customer service. They are outstanding. We have had very few issues but have yet to pay a dime for any of them. I do not have an issue doing repairs. Grand Design has provided new parts such as water pump and even a new pin box head when I had issues with the rubber dampeners that came factory. I would purchase their product again. We are in fact considering a momentum 397 right now. I should also note that we lived full time in ours for 6 months last year with a family of 5. 

2 hours ago, RAMer-Jammer said:

Look up "Changing Lanes" on YouTube.

The videos are by a couple named Chad & Tara that full-time in a huge GD Momentum 5th wheel.

Lots of practical stuff about the trailer or various stuff they are trying out on it, and a lot of just interesting trip blogs.

I follow them.  Yes it’s a great channel.  We are actually looking at the same model 397TH. 

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg