2006 Sunset Creek

skully53

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot.

I have a 2006 Sunset Creek with what is the standard power cord, for the time. Wondering if someone knows if I'm able to upgrade this to the new style connection and I'm able to use the "extension" chords that are on the newer campers. 

Thanks in advance for the help! 

Jason

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We have happy to have you here and we will help in any why that we can. 

As to you question, I'm not sure that I fully understand what you are asking, but will give it a shot. As far as I am able to determine, your travel trailer now has a typical, 30A power cord like this first one one.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRV6mFJWwh6VrzvajFFs           images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqbSNPLwDnblwaqYb2jWN

If I am understanding the question, you wish to upgrade your RV from the first (3 pin, 30A) power cord to the second(4 pin, 50A) type of cord. If I am correct, doing that will require a major rewiring of the RV and replacement of the present 120V distribution panel in order to take advantage of the larger power supply. If all you wish is to be able to connect to the 50a outlets, there are adapters readily available to allow you to connect your present cord to the 50A type of connector but you would still be limited to 30a by your present power cord and electrical distribution equipment.  The adapter is shown below.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTe9DHxzAdYmTxBDCSn3dr

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes, you can get rid of the permanently attached cord and it's mouse hole storage. Depending on the size of the hole the cord feeds through, a replacement adapter may completely cover the existing trim. Then, simply add the proper cord end to the existing cord.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

That is a good improvement if you have a place to store the cord. I haven't done ours but did do one for a friend and it isn't that difficult. The small trailer that we now have really doesn't have a good alternative to store the cord so I have lived with that one. Just what it will take to make that change depends on what you now have. It will need wire from the distribution panel to the location where you will install the socket. The parts you need are readily available and the work isn't difficult if you have reasonably good access to the area. The one that I put in even fit the hole the previous one had occupied. Access is part of the reason I haven't done mine. Are you thinking of doing it yourself, or having an RV tech make the change?

Edited by Kirk W

Just now, skully53 said:

Not sure yet.

Take a look to see if you can get to the place where the cord is now connected to the distribution panel and then could string wire between the two. If you don't understand electricity you might be wise to have them do it. Any competent RV tech should be able to do it. 

I would say not exactly. You could sort this out by yourself but this is dealing with at least some electrical skill and is nothing to play around with unless you know what you are doing.  In most ways it is simple but even simple things can hurt you or cause all kind of damage to your rig.

8 minutes ago, skully53 said:

Couldn't I just cut the end off and put the new end on? 

No. The cord that you show in the picture uses a plug and socket. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZpkqC6xl1ekZJo99pEis072111_1.jpg?sw=195&sh=195&sm=fit

Notice in the picture there is a socket for the round end of the cord. That socked has to have wire run between it and the distribution panel inside of your RV where the circuit breakers are located. the socket then mounts where your current cord enters the RV and you disconnect the cord and roll it up to travel. 

3 hours ago, skully53 said:
1 hour ago, skully53 said:

So I want to go from the first picture to the second picture.

Jason, PICTURE ONE is a standard 120 Volt 30 Amp  NEMA TT-30 P Plug. Its cord has THREE 10 Gauge wires, Hot, Neutral, Ground. It is a straight blade NON Locking plug on the end of your RV's stored power cord for insertion in the parks 30 Amp power pedestal. Inside the RV the other end of that rubber cord is likely hard wired into your AC Power Distribution Panel...Three 10 gauge wires, Hot, Neutral, Ground

PICTURE TWO "looks like" a "TWIST LOCK" connection. That would consist of two components,  a "Twist Lock" Receptacle hard wired in the side of the RV,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, PLUS use of a "Twist Lock" Plug on the power cord end.

The advantages of using stand alone Twist Lock is how you can store the cord and the fact they don't unplug so easy, they have to be twisted.

CONVERSION if you want to use a stand alone "Twist Lock" system you need a new (or modified see below) cord with a Twist Lock Plug on its end PLUS you have to change the RV from the cord system you have to a new on the RV side hard wired "Twist Lock" Receptacle. Any good electrician or an RV service center could make that change unless you want to tackle it yourself.

It  would be possible to use a part of your existing 30 amp power cord, you could install a new "Twist Lock" Plug on one end PLUS on the RV you have to install a new "Twist Lock" Receptacle wired into your distribution system. That's basically three 10 gauge Wires from the new Twist Lock Receptacle to your panel. That's how/where the existing cord is wired inside...... IE one could connect a portion of the interior cord (if it wires to the panel) to the RV's new Twist Lock Receptacle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Three wires, Easy Peasy lol 

There may well be You Tube Videos on converting from an RV straight blade 30 Amp over to a Twist Lock ??????? One could configure an adapter from blade to twist lock but I'm not a fan of that. Its simple (for a qualified person) to change from a hard wired 30 amp cord with a straight blade plug over to a Twist Lock system.  

Do your homework and insure its done safe and proper using a professional if you're not qualified

NEW "Twist Lock" RECEPTACLE (on RV side hard wired to panel),,,,,,,,,,, New (0r replaced) Power Cord with a "Twist Lock" PLUG is all you need...........The other end of the RV power cord has a standard straight blade NEMA TT-30P 120 Volt 30 Amp Plug (same as your cord already has) for plugging to the parks power pedestal. If I were to convert I would cut off the RV side of the cord leaving enough length to wire to the new Twist Lock Receptacle (assumes it wires to panel),,,,,,,,On the end of the cord I just cut off I would install a new matching Twist Lock Plug,,,,,,,The cords other end already has a straight blade 30 Amp Plug for the RV park pedestal.........

FYI the three wires from panel to Twist Lock Receptacle (you could use a piece of existing cord that's already wired to the panel) would be a Black HOT, a White Neutral, a Green Ground. The new Twist Lock Plug wires  the same, Black, White, Green   

See Kirks good picture above for a "Twist Lock" Cord and Receptacle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

Jason PS FYI 

Here's a typical 30 Amp 125 Volt "Twist Lock" RV Receptacle (mounts on side of RV)  and the matching "Twist Lock" Plug  that goes on the RV end of your Power Cord I found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Cords-Trailer-Marine-Power/dp/B0785N6B8Y/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&hvadid=78271604239054&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=30+amp+rv+twist+lock+receptacle&qid=1603140182&sr=8-3&tag=mh0b-20

Take a look see if this helps your understanding??

If you look closely you will see there are places for connecting three 10 Gauge wires from the rear of the Receptacle to your RV's Power Panel (that's where your existing cord ends up inside) and the Plug in the picture goes on the RV end of your power cord. The other end of the cord has the conventional 30 Amp plug for the parks power pedestal . I advise professional installation. 

John T

Edited by oldjohnt