Ramp storage in bed build...

trimster

I didn't get the built-in ramps finished, but the plan was to have the ramps attached to the deck and allowed to slide into and out of the storage location (without disconnecting).  Rational being that they wouldn't be able to 'fall off' the truck and I wouldn't have to lift them to store them.  Downside being that the ramp position on the deck would be fixed.

Effectively the ramps would have say a bolt through them horizontally on one end.  That bolt would attached to a slot within the storage position directly below the deck.  (Similar to Radar274 but attached)

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

If I was going to do it again, I would use light I-beam for the car to rest in, one rail for each side.  Just flat plate between the "rails", leaving plenty of clearance for the ramps between. Mounting stops, ratchets, etc would be soooo simple.

Of course, a three wheeler wouldn't work, nor would 3 x 21" ramps.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

So got some steel to start the bones of the bed build.

vOnevQDl.jpg

I marked where possible ramp storage could be for 2 of the 3 ramps. The frame rail cap is 2.5"x 6" C channel.

xSunmlXl.jpg

3x0y2epl.jpg

The third ramp might just live on the deck.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

I recently modified my motorcycle ramp(again) to make it more easy to handle. I had the frame my motorcycle rests on raised a bit so one part of my two part ramp could slide under and ride there. Today will be the first time I will actually use it. I am hoping for the best. I won't remember later to take photos or video of the load. I work by myself with it all and have broken a few cameras trying to capture the activities before. Can't afford to do that today. If it all works well I will take a photo of things on the other end of the move and post. The real reason for this post is to remind me to do such and to offer the suggestion that no matter what you do it seems, in time you will wish you would have "Thought of that earlier".  I doubt I had enough room with my first box to raise the frame, but during all the empty test runs it's sure easier to handle half the ramp at a time instead of the full length. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

When you are figuring chain clearance for fenders remember to take articulation into consideration. 

Throw in the interaxle lock and back one set of wheels up a ramp or something to tilt the axle side to side as far as it will go and have a gander at the travel of the outside tire in relation to the frame. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 1:47 PM, noteven said:

Here is a ramp calculator:

Ramp calculator

Plugged in the numbers and my ramps for the Goldwing....need 14' ramps. Not offered. 12' is the max.

So the Wing WB is 66.5".

Ground clearance = 4.9"

Bed height looks like 48".

I think the solution is to load/unload aired down.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

1 hour ago, trimster said:

Plugged in the numbers and my ramps for the Goldwing....need 14' ramps. Not offered. 12' is the max.

So the Wing WB is 66.5".

Ground clearance = 4.9"

I have an Amerideck lift that will set off it's ramp on the ground to the right side of my truck.It is a tiny bit wide...

I've seen a video of a guy who had a jib crane on the back of his Freightliner to lift his bike to the deck without ramps. 

He had the soft sling locations figured out. A couple minutes to put on the slings and swing the crane out. Run the electric draw works (winch) hook on the slings, lift the bike, level as can be, and swing it on board.  The crane lived up behind the sleeper.  Would be handy for hauling the objects heavy with the truck when no hauling bikes.

12 - 14 fts of ramps = a nuisance to rig up when you want to go for a 3 hr ride on a sweet road on your way by... 

You also need room to use them. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Sooo, when you measure your ground clearance, sit on/in the vehicle and have someone take the reading.  Suspension sag can cause headaches the first time you load.  Or so I've heard........  There's a reason my wife drives the smart on/off rather than I.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

15 hours ago, trimster said:

So the Wing WB is 66.5".

Ground clearance = 4.9"

Another way to load the motorcycle is to fashion a wheeled trolly for the front wheel and use an electric winch to pull  it into place.The suspension has no weight on it and if you need you can stop and put a block under the rear tire at the breakover  the first   time loading and then make is semi  permanent at that point for the standard loading. OF course things can change and it's either not needed or more  is needed  at times. Send me a PM if you would like more info on mine.  I have some photos I can send via a google photo link, but can't seem to get them to my pc and post them here. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.