Can it really be this easy?

Five Wood

I turn 65 in October.  I'm surprised at how easy the switch-over is from Tricare Select to Medicare and Tricare For Life.  Most all of the process is automatic unless I want to decline Medicare Part - B (which I don't).  So other than setting up an account at the Medicare website. . .  I've done pretty much nothing, which I've become very good at.  Of course, in October I may be singing a different tune, but so far this is a breeze.

Jim 

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Jim

Just remember that doing nothing and doing it well is an Art/Skill that comes with time.  Don't try and rush into it.  Let it come naturally.  You have no where to be and you should not be in a hurry to get there.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Jim,

Yeah I read too much into it and it was really simpler than I imagined. I know the feeling. Welcome to the no copay zone!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I assume you've already applied for Medicare, or will soon. It's normally 2 months prior to your 65 birthday.

Remember to submit/transfer all your prescriptions[for both of you-if married] to Express-Scripts, co-pay is now $10 for 3 month supply for generic drugs. Create an account with the Express-Scripts website to control  all your prescriptions.

The TRICARE dental program[stand-alone program] is operated by Delta Dental, retirees are now in the same program as congress.

What medical bills Medicare does not pay are automatically forwarded to TFL for payment. It's amazing how effectively The two programs operate together.Each mail you a quarterly review of benefits paid.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

9 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I assume you've already applied for Medicare, or will soon. It's normally 2 months prior to your 65 birthday.

Yes, I've already set up my Medicare account and have my card.

Remember to submit/transfer all your prescriptions[for both of you-if married] to Express-Scripts, co-pay is now $10 for 3 month supply for generic drugs. Create an account with the Express-Scripts website to control  all your prescriptions.

I've been using Express-Scripts for several years now.  I'm a full RV'er and it has really worked well for me.

The TRICARE dental program[stand-alone program] is operated by Delta Dental, retirees are now in the same program as congress.

I had Delta Dental up until a year or so ago.  Then I switched to "Tricare Federal Advantage Dental Plan" It's run by Humana.

What medical bills Medicare does not pay are automatically forwarded to TFL for payment. It's amazing how effectively The two programs operate together.Each mail you a quarterly review of benefits paid.

This topic is something I still have questions about.

It would seem that I will not only have to find doctors that accept Medicare. . . but these same doctors will also have to be set up to accept Tricare?

Thanks Ray

Jim
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

On 8/14/2020 at 3:45 AM, RV_ said:

Jim,

Yeah I read too much into it and it was really simpler than I imagined. I know the feeling. Welcome to the no copay zone!

RV

I didn't realize there were no co-pays with Medicare.

Jim

Jim
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

FIVE WOOD, I've been on Medicare and TFL for 12 years, I have not had any  Dr that accepts Medicare reject TFL. in fact I have found only one DR that did not accept Medicare assignment. Keep in mind the Dr does not submit a TFL claim, it is forwarded to TFL by Medicare -every time a claim is acted upon by Medicare.

RV/Derek is right, when a Dr accepts Medicare assignment, there is no copay. infrequently there is with TFL where Medicare did not pay.

EDIT: what I said is misleading. I meant to say, Medicare pays their portion and generally TFL pays the difference. That effectively means there is no co-pay for the vast majority of claims.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

FIVE WOOD, This may interest you: https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USMHSTMA/bulletins/29b29eb

It is a TRICARE online webinar explaining how MEDICARE and TRICARE work together.

4 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

FIVE WOOD, This may interest you: https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USMHSTMA/bulletins/29b29eb

It is a TRICARE online webinar explaining how MEDICARE and TRICARE work together.

Thanks Ray

Jim

Jim
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

On 8/21/2020 at 5:00 PM, Ray,IN said:

Ray,

I signed up for the webinar and it was today.  True to form with me and computers. . . I screwed it up and was unable to watch the webinar.  But all was not lost.  There was an attachment that had a great deal of info on TFL.  So it all worked out.  Thanks for the tip.

Jim

Jim
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

• 3 weeks later...

There is another on Sep. 24:  https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USMHSTMA/bulletins/2a09c28