Hopper 3 Questions

Our RV has a Winegard Trav'ler for Dish. 

If I were to get a Hopper 3 (not the one with Sling) for the home, and wanted to take it with us when we head south for the winter, is it a simple "plug and play" like our current VIP 612 DVR is?  Or is there something that has to be added in order to make it work?

Also, what are the dimensions of the Hopper 3?  I've seen a couple of different dimensions listed...again, just for the Hopper 3 not the Hopper 3 w/Sling.  We have limited space in our RV where the receiver resides and the 612 is already a tight fit.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

You will need to add a DPH42 switch and a solo hub to use the Hopper 3 with the Traveler.  There are several videos on the internet describing the process.  Be sure and unplug the Hopper when traveling.

https://winegard.com/industry/government-military/accessories/satellite-tv-accessories-mobile/dish-skdph42-switch-kit

https://outsideourbubble.com/make-your-dish-winegard-travler-hopper-3-compatible/

I elected to stay with my VIP612 and 211Z as long as possible.

There are zero portable automatic antennas that work with the Hopper.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

4 hours ago, LindaH said:

Our RV has a Winegard Trav'ler for Dish. 

If I were to get a Hopper 3 (not the one with Sling) for the home, and wanted to take it with us when we head south for the winter, is it a simple "plug and play" like our current VIP 612 DVR is?  Or is there something that has to be added in order to make it work?

If you're just taking your Hopper 3 in your RV and not added Joeys, then you just need a DPH42 switch like so:

dph42_winegard-travler_one_hopper3_08_19

Also, what are the dimensions of the Hopper 3?  I've seen a couple of different dimensions listed...again, just for the Hopper 3 not the Hopper 3 w/Sling.  We have limited space in our RV where the receiver resides and the 612 is already a tight fit.

Here's a comparison of the 3 different Hopper models. BTW, a Hopper 3 does have the Sling feature:

dph_hopper-versions_anatomy-150dpi_11_22

Here are the dimensions of the 6xx & 7xx receivers:

002_dish_612_622_722_722k_anatomy720dpi.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

7 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Be sure and unplug the Hopper when traveling.

The receiver is always "unplugged" whenever we're not actively using it (not physically unplugged, but it doesn't have any power to it).  We mostly boondock and run the receiver from the inverter which is not left on when we're not using it, which would include when we travel.  The receiver is also plugged into a power strip which we turn off when not watching TV and so we can use the inverter for other things without having to leave the receiver on.

Thanks for the links...I'll take a look at them.  I'm not sure this is something we can do, but perhaps we can find someone to do it for us if we decide to go this way.

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

6 hours ago, Zulu said:

If you're just taking your Hopper 3 in your RV and not added Joeys, then you just need a DPH42 switch like so:

dph42_winegard-travler_one_hopper3_08_19

No, no Joey...at least that we would take with us.

Thanks for the diagram.  It, along with the video TXiceman provided the link to, helps me visualize what needs to be done.  Only problem is, neither of us are young enough to have any business on the roof of the RV, so we'd have to find someone to do this part of the installation.

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

2 hours ago, Zulu said:

Here's a comparison of the 3 different Hopper models. BTW, a Hopper 3 does have the Sling feature:

I'm confused about your statement that the Hopper 3 has a Sling feature.  I thought the Hopper w/Sling was a different receiver from the Hopper 3 and only has 3 tuners whereas the Hopper 3 has 16 tuners.  Is this not correct?  Granted, a lot of what I've been reading is way over my head since I'm not electronically minded, but that's certainly the impression I've come away with from my reading.  

2 hours ago, Zulu said:

Here are the dimensions of the 6xx & 7xx receivers:

I know the dimensions of my 612.  What I need to know are the dimensions of the Hopper 3.  I've come across two different dimensions in my reading, but I *think* these are the correct ones?

Width:  16"

Depth:  11.4"

Height:  2.1"

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

In looking at the diagram Zulu posted, I notice the Trav'ler says "with Dish Pro Plus LNBF."  Does this mean I'd also have to change out the LNBF?   We've had our Trav'ler for over 10 years and other than moving it from one RV to another, we've never made any changes to it.  Would an older model have the Dish Pro Plus LNBF?

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

One last question (maybe):

In the video that TXiceman provided, the guy talks about and shows a Solo Hub (which he keeps calling a solo node).  But nowhere, either in the Wingard link provided by TXiceman or in the diagram provided by Zulu, does a solo hub appear.  So what gives?  Do I need this little device, too?

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

5 hours ago, LindaH said:

I'm confused about your statement that the Hopper 3 has a Sling feature.  I thought the Hopper w/Sling was a different receiver from the Hopper 3 and only has 3 tuners whereas the Hopper 3 has 16 tuners.  Is this not correct?  Granted, a lot of what I've been reading is way over my head since I'm not electronically minded, but that's certainly the impression I've come away with from my reading.  

The 3 tuner Hopper w/Sling (also referred to as the "Hopper 2") was the first model to include the Sling feature that's used with the Dish Anywhere app, and the newer 16 tuner Hopper 3 also includes the Sling feature. The Dish Anywhere app installed on a phone, tablet, FireTVstick, etc, can be used anywhere you have good Internet service to connect to your Internet connected Hopper 2 or 3 for remote viewing. The Dish Anywhere website can also be used for viewing with the Chrome or Edge browsers on a PC. Dish Anywhere uses your MyDish account login info for authorization.

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

In looking at the diagram Zulu posted, I notice the Trav'ler says "with Dish Pro Plus LNBF."  Does this mean I'd also have to change out the LNBF?   We've had our Trav'ler for over 10 years and other than moving it from one RV to another, we've never made any changes to it.  Would an older model have the Dish Pro Plus LNBF?

The Dish Pro Plus (DPP) is the standard LNBF on a Winegard Travler there's no need to change it.

Also, you can put the DPH42 switch on your RV roof next to the Travler. Then you only have to run 1 cable into the RV.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

27 minutes ago, LindaH said:

One last question (maybe):

In the video that TXiceman provided, the guy talks about and shows a Solo Hub (which he keeps calling a solo node).  But nowhere, either in the Wingard link provided by TXiceman or in the diagram provided by Zulu, does a solo hub appear.  So what gives?  Do I need this little device, too?

You only need the Hybrid Solo Hub if you plan on connecting 1 or 2 Joeys to the Hopper 3. 

dph42_winegard-travler_one_hopper3_one-o

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

21 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The 3 tuner Hopper w/Sling (also referred to as the "Hopper 2") was the first model to include the Sling feature that's used with the Dish Anywhere app, and the newer 16 tuner Hopper 3 also includes the Sling feature. The Dish Anywhere app installed on a phone, tablet, FireTVstick, etc, can be used anywhere you have good Internet service to connect to your Internet connected Hopper 2 or 3 for remote viewing. The Dish Anywhere website can also be used for viewing with the Chrome or Edge browsers on a PC. Dish Anywhere uses your MyDish account login info for authorization.

Thanks for explanation.  I doubt I'd use the Internet features, but who knows.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

13 minutes ago, Zulu said:

You only need the Hybrid Solo Hub if you plan on connecting 1 or 2 Joeys to the Hopper 3. 

dph42_winegard-travler_one_hopper3_one-o

Since we wouldn't be taking a Joey with us, we won't need this device.  The guy in the video never explained what the solo hub was needed for.

I noticed, too, that how he wired up the DPH42 switch is different than the schematic shown here.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

I noticed, too, that how he wired up the DPH42 switch is different than the schematic shown here.

BTW, if you put the DPH42 switch on your RV roof, I'd suggest putting some sort of sun screen over it -- just don't box it.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

8 hours ago, Zulu said:

BTW, if you put the DPH42 switch on your RV roof, I'd suggest putting some sort of sun screen over it -- just don't box it.

What would you suggest for a sun screen?  Like a little tent?  Or something that's *painted* on?  It would have to be something that doesn't require going up on the roof to remove it every time we move the RV.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

What would you suggest for a sun screen?  Like a little tent?  Or something that's *painted* on?  It would have to be something that doesn't require going up on the roof to remove it every time we move the RV.

I actually put our DPH in a plastic electrical box on the roof and used Dicor caulk to fasten it down. Since the DPH switch generates some heat, I drilled holes in the sides with a hole saw to vent. It has been up for about a year in the hot Florida sun with no issues. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

We already have 3 leads brought down from the roof into the basement,  If I ever change to the Hopper 3, I'll mount the DPH42 switch in the basement next to our Coaxial distribution box.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

2 hours ago, LindaH said:

RV Roof Vent

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

12 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The Dish Anywhere app installed on a phone, tablet, FireTVstick, etc, can be used anywhere you have good Internet service to connect to your Internet connected Hopper 2 or 3 for remote viewing. 

When I'm sitting outside, I use it with my iPad with the Dish Anywhere app installed. I connect my Hopper 3 and iPad to the same WiFi hotspot and watch live or recorded TV programs. Since the two devices are on the same hotspot, no broadband data is used. Very handy.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Our bedroom Joey in the motorhome died awhile ago. Instead of replacing it, I added a FireTVstick with the DishAnywhere app installed, saving the Joey fee. As you said, connecting the Hopper and the FireTVstick on the same WiFi network saves external data usage. You do still need an Internet connection though, to validate the login. After that it's local use only. Sitting outside I just use my Android phone with the app, again on the same network.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

2 hours ago, chuckbear said:

I actually put our DPH in a plastic electrical box on the roof and used Dicor caulk to fasten it down. Since the DPH switch generates some heat, I drilled holes in the sides with a hole saw to vent. It has been up for about a year in the hot Florida sun with no issues. Chuck

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm surprised that the guy in the video didn't say anything about the DPH needing to be covered.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

3 hours ago, TXiceman said:

We already have 3 leads brought down from the roof into the basement,  If I ever change to the Hopper 3, I'll mount the DPH42 switch in the basement next to our Coaxial distribution box.

Ken

That would be nice, at least get it out of the weather.

We don't have a basement and I don't know where the leads from the roof go to, but I assume they go to the area behind the wall in the cabinet where we place the receiver.  I don't know how to access that area, but even if I did, what with the receiver and the Trav'ler control box, there simply wouldn't be enough room to put the DPH unless it could sit on top of the receiver.  Even then, it's a really tight space in there and what with all the additional wires, I don't think there would be enough room.  If we do this, the roof would be about the only place we could put it.

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

4 hours ago, chuckbear said:

Since the DPH switch generates some heat, I drilled holes in the sides with a hole saw to vent.

I've been thinking about your comment.  Has water intrusion through the holes ever been a problem when it rains, or does the electrical box sit up from the roof to allow water drainage?

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul