buying first RV

dean e epstein

Hi I'm new here and joined escapees a few weeks ago because I'm looking to move out of California at the end of the year and RV my way to Florida to start a new chapter in my life. I haven't actually bough my RV yet and am wondering since Florida is going to be my domicile would it be better to buy an RV in that state or does it matter?  If i buy in another state will I have to pay taxes on it in both states. And lastly since Im a disabled Veteran does anyone know if Florida gives any kind of tax breaks to someone in my situation??

Thanks!

End of the year is not the best time to change domiciles--I'd leave at least a month earlier or later then file a partial year income tax form to make it clear to California you are indeed leaving. They have a reputation for trying to claim you still live there.

If you get your new domicile address before you buy the RV in California you can avoid paying their sales tax by having it delivered out of state then staying gone. Dealer's are used to doing that. Then you register it in your new state and pay their rate which is almost always less than California's rate. Depending on which mail forwarder you choose they will register your new RV for you and mail you the plates for an extra fee. Either way you can get a temporary sticker to use while in transit to your new location but those tend to have a pretty short use by date so you couldn't wander your way east.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Welcome to the Escapee forums, Dean! It is great having you as part of both the forums and of the RV Club. We are here to help so please do feel free to ask as many questions as you like and to join into all or any of the conversations here. 

We have many California refugees in Escapees and my wife happens to be one of them, with nearly all of her family still out there, mostly in southern CA. While you could buy the RV in CA and avoid their sales tax by taking delivery just over the state border (7.25%), it would probably be somewhat easier to wait to get to FL and pay the 6% that they have when you get there. The main advantage to waiting would be that if you are financing the RV, you probably won't be able to roll FL sales tax into that loan unless you buy in FL. I would at least check to see if you can by contacting the financing company. 

The other part of this question though is where will you stay in FL while you shop for and take delivery on the RV, if we assume that you plan to live in it once you move there? In addition, do you plan to travel about the country as a fulltimer, or will you want a permanent, fixed address in FL? Either way, you would be wise to move all of your business contacts from CA to FL as part of this to completely shed any tie to CA in order to make clear that you are gone. If you have not done so, I strongly suggest that you read The Issue of Domicile which was written for Escapees by their attorney.

The sales tax issue depends on what state you buy the RV in as each state has their own state laws about sales tax on vehicles, but generally you pay the sales tax in the state where you license and insure it. A few states do require a buyer to pay the sales taxes there even if registering out of state but most registering state will give you credit for sales taxes paid to another state. To say for sure about this one must know which states you are dealing with, but as Linda said, CA will allow you to not pay their sales tax only if you take delivery on the RV over the state line and do not bring it back into CA for 6 months. To my knowledge, there are no states that give a veteran's discount on sales tax of vehicle registration fees. Just so that you know, FL had no state income tax, and neither does TX if considering it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I would buy in Florida from a local dealer. He will be a lot happier to service what he sold as apposed to an RV that came from California.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

You also need to consider how you will get from California to Florida with all your household goods if you wait to buy the RV in Florida. That could cost more than you'll save on sales tax.

BTW, when we traded RVs in California the dealer let us move from the trade-in to the new RV before hauling the new one over the state line for delivery.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, DJohns said:

I would buy in Florida from a local dealer. He will be a lot happier to service what he sold as apposed to an RV that came from California.

Full-timers are rarely at the same place that they bought the RV.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel