solar panels above acs.

I have seen on Facebook several who have covered entire roof, acs with solar. Looks impressive. They are rather high. I can see air getting under them. In a thunder storm with high wind could that cause lift? I ask becuse I intend to be around 7" above roof. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

There are a couple of advantages for higher mounting. Air flow for cooling and ease of clearing the debris.  Minus are the extra height of your unit, potential for wind speed to remove the panel and inability to walk on your roof for inspection and repair.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Glenn, last week there was a converted Greyhound bus in a Forest Service CG we were in. Unfortunately, I never got to talk to the owner about his solar. He had panels from about 3' from the front cap to about 3' from the rear cap from side to side.. There were 3 roof airs under the panels. The panels themselves were mounted on aluminum framing. The framing started on the left and right side of the bus roof which is of course radiused. He had approx., looking from the ground, about 4" of clearance above the AC covers. Of course this made the side supports quite high. I can only assume he didn't have problems.

Well, I wasn't thinking on panels coming off. Completely covered could camper take lift? And I could totally off base with this but doesn't take a lot of air to lift an awning. We can roll it in. That solar is staying. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

11 minutes ago, bobsallyh said:

Glenn, last week there was a converted Greyhound bus in a Forest Service CG we were in. Unfortunately, I never got to talk to the owner about his solar. He had panels from about 3' from the front cap to about 3' from the rear cap from side to side.. There were 3 roof airs under the panels. The panels themselves were mounted on aluminum framing. The framing started on the left and right side of the bus roof which is of course radiused. He had approx., looking from the ground, about 4" of clearance above the AC covers. Of course this made the side supports quite high. I can only assume he didn't have problems.

Don't know how tall his buss is but that would put some RVs above legal height

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Well, I wasn't thinking on panels coming off. Completely covered could camper take lift? And I could totally off base with this but doesn't take a lot of air to lift an awning. We can roll it in. That solar is staying. 

You need to do some reading on aerodynamics, and lift.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

In hindsight Glenn, I didn't take any pictures. One thing I forgot to add in my original post was that he fabricated wind deflectors that went from the front of the front cap to the lead cross piece that supported the solar panels.

Edited by bobsallyh

I would do that with the forward panels. Angled those two up to running height. And also I don't belive it could lift camper but in  high wind would it make it move around a lot due to lift with them high like that.

I have some panels that go over the rear skylight on our Teton, like the one I think you removed. I also have some more panels raised to clear drain vents. Still there. 

I doubt the wind will cause a noticeable difference in the wind.  The sides already catch a lot more wind than the panels will. 

With the front panels angled down the wind will ride up and over the panels when driving.  I have a panel that the leading edge is attached to the front cap but it is only about 3/4"  high in the front and a few inches back from the leading edge. I believe the wind goes over that.   If you have ever held your hand out of the window in a moving car it is easy to hold it flat but when you turn it broadside it catches the wnd. Why wouldn't panels react the same.  There are a number of people that use just glue to hold panels down to the roof membrane which is glued to the underside.  Many of these have held.  You can use a lag bolts to screw into the roof underlayment and structure on the Teton and it should hold fast.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift