Long-term RVing in the desert / Southwest... anyone doing it?

Hi all,

I'm considering some homesteading in the Southwest US, probably in drylands or desert.

I'll be in a more "moderate" climate (Cochise County, AZ), not, for example, Phoenix.

I don't yet have shelter to do this with and am thinking about a wide variety of mobile options.

Is anyone here doing this in a (more or less conventional) RV? I know some tiny house folks are out there.

Concerned about insulation, energy usage with AC, etc. (Obviously electricity and water supply will be concerns.)

Thanks!

There are many RVers living year-round in Cochise County.  The RV parks are full of them.  We know of many who do.  So, yes, it is possible.  Also, your concerns are legitimate - insulation, electric, water (if you're on your own property).  Entry model RVs have poor insulation - look at an older, higher quality RV instead.  Mobile homes would have better insulation than an RV.  Cochise County gets cold in winter so it's not just summer temps you need to be concerned about.  If heating via propane you will go through it fast.  Good luck with your decision!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

21 hours ago, testingwithfire said:

I'm considering some homesteading in the Southwest US, probably in drylands or desert.

If you mean to acquire some land by the US Homestead Act, that possibility was ended in 1976. If you are thinking of buying land you might be able to do that for a reasonable price. It could be very expensive to get utilities there since you would need at least water and a septic system.  

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Another viable option might be  the JOJOBA HILLS RV RESORT  in the California high desert of Aguanga (Aguanga is roughly half way between San Diego and Los Angeles, 17 miles southeast of Temecula).  We've owned here for the last 12 years, and absolutely love it. We remain Texas residents via the Escapees to avoid California's high taxes. You can explore our haven via our web page at: www.jojobahills.com. Let me know if you're at all interested and I'll try to answer any questions you may have. (orvhazelton@gmail.com)

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

I'm a full timer that boondocks a lot of the time. I have property in Cochise County, Tombstone to be exact so I've spent time there in the summer but mostly in the winter. The climate is moderate compared to some places but my water hose will freeze overnight sometimes, and one time I remember in September the temperature was 111° so the winters can still get pretty cold, and it's a desert so the summers get really hot.

One of the reasons I'm a fulltimer is because I don't think there's any place in the  United States where the weather's nice all year so I live in the Southwest in the winter and Colorado in the summer.... It works for me.

theboondork.com

Fulltiming in an Arctic Fox 27-5L

My Website and Blog is theboondork.com