Titling & Tagging a HDT in NJ

GreenPete

Hello all, i’m new to the forum. I’ll give a little back story. I have a 1979 Peterbilt 359 day cab that i’m in the midst of restoring. When done i would like to tag it as a personal hdt & use it to tow a 5th wheel camper. 

my question before i get to far along on personalizing the truck to my taste is will i be able to get it registered. I already have it titled in my name. It’s a day cab so i’m not looking to have it converted to a sleeper/rv. 

Would it be easier for me to register as a 2 axle truck vs. a 3 axle truck?

981F1AED-57AC-47E6-B148-AE10C94B2853.jpeg.2604b67c0edc8611f3ca83fb55fe106a.jpeg

Edited by GreenPete

Welcome!  It looks like you have a good place to start to have a cool toter truck.  As suggested above, the Heavy Haulers Resource Guide is a wealth of info.  It may take some digging, but just about any question you'd ask will be answered in there somewhere.  There are lots of "projects" documented as well.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

If I had to guess I would say you will not be able to have it registered as an motorhome.  You will not have any of the listed requirements most states require.  Sleep, cooking, refrig, bathroom, external power hookup etc.  That might have changed since we did our Volvo 770 back in 2004/5.  What state are you going to try and register it in as a motorhome?  Good Luck cool project.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Would there be a possibility to have it registered as a antique or classic in NJ? Only issue I would think of could be restrictions on when you can drive it or how many miles a year, I know Pa. has some, just a thought. Nice looking truck, good luck.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

5 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

I was looking at that this morning, it’s what prompted me to create this thread. NJ is blank...no info there. 

4 hours ago, dblr said:

Would there be a possibility to have it registered as a antique or classic in NJ? Only issue I would think of could be restrictions on when you can drive it or how many miles a year, I know Pa. has some, just a thought. Nice looking truck, good luck.

Yes, i can apply for QQ tags, however the truck must remain completely stock as it rolled of the production line floor. So my visor would have to go, i couldn’t install the interior i bought, and it has to stay a twin screw.  Also i’m pretty darn sure i wouldn’t be able to drag a camper around with me.  Kind of like a kid using farm license to drive his pick up school. Guess it’s only illegal if ya get caught right. Lol

Wouldn't it be nice if all the states (and provinces) were consistent in registration requirements?  I wonder how a MDT would be registered?  That might be an avenue to explore.  Certainly, going the MH route is out of the question.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

10 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Wouldn't it be nice if all the states (and provinces) were consistent in registration requirements?  I wonder how a MDT would be registered?  That might be an avenue to explore.  Certainly, going the MH route is out of the question.

That’s what i’m going to try and find out. Also it will be helpful when Dmv opens back up so i can get some info from them. 

as for all state being the same...oh that would be so nice lol. Would make life easy for not just 1st timers, but also people who move their home domicile state. 

Edited by GreenPete

3 hours ago, Sehc said:

There is some information here; https://nj.gov/nj/trans/vehicles/

I have a van with NJ QQ tags. I have regular liability insurance, so no mileage limits. But the state requires use only to shows and for education. It is easy to be going to a show. I can have a show. I was stopped once because I was missing a inspection sticker. No charges. 

Thanks Sehc, i saw that before and am hoping i can fall under registration class 15 non-commercial truck. It give a list pf what’s excepted, but doesn’t include hdt’s. On same note it gives a list of what’s ineligible & hdt’s are NOT on that list :)  

wonder what kind of battle i’ll be in for when dmv opens back up again? Lol. I’d like to have it tagged up now so i can drive it. New tires are going on next week & the interior has been ordered. Only thing i still need is a new drivers seat & it’ll be drivable.