LP detector false alarm?

Lauren

We have a 2018 Forest River Acadia 29LT. Every time we are not connected to shore power our LP detector starts going off. We boondocked all weekend and were not connected to power at all. It went crazy even after I reset it, so we ended up unhooking the battery to stop the noise. The propane tank was never on.  Could this be because of the battery? It is sitting in my driveway right now just beeping away. 

The usual propane detector does not have its own battery and uses the house battery. This sound like your 'house' battery is low. When plugged in to shore power, it charges the battery and there is enough voltage to keep the Propane detector happy.

Did you check the battery water level and keep it topped up?

Disconnecting the battery is not a good idea as it is needed for the fridge and interior lights.

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

If the battery is off gassing excessively that also will cause an alarm. In our motorhome the batteries were under the step and the LP detector was just above. It usually was my first indication of a battery failure. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Additionally, If you have a dog that sleeps next to the LP(combustible gas) detector, and is flatulent, the detector will sound an alarm.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

A cat's litter box can also set it off. So can unusual air currents if the black tank is getting full. All of those, though, would be very intermittent. Since this happens only when not on shore power (what about generator power?) I'd look at the house batteries first. If they are good, check the date on the detector. Those things only have a five year life, and the newer ones will chirp to let you know that they are dying. From the age of your rig, that's probably a long shot, but it is also one of the cheaper fixes.

Let us know what you find out.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Yes ours is wired directly to the battery (we tried to unscrew it to see if new batteries on the detector itself were needed). After a check-up on the battery and a confirmed full charge, it is still only reading that it is 1/3 charged when I check from the camper. Now I am wondering if we have an issue with our wiring. We have a very small dog that sleeps in the bed with us, and no cat in the camper. It does not chirp when on generator power. I am stumped.

It might be under the battery manufacturers warranty but the RV probably only has a 1 year warranty. 

Do you do periodic maintenance on your battery? If not it probably has low electrolyte levels. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI