AGM vs. Classic Wet Battery?

aztex

2 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

Yo Pat, I bought some 208 Amp Hour 12 Volt AGM's, Frame Size 4D, 129 lbs each, for $247 picked up at Walmart and they loaded them in my car HOWEVER  a couple weeks later about every vendor including Walmart jumped them up to near $400.

$400 divided by 104 usable amp-hours (50% discharge) for a 129 lb AGM battery is $4 per usable amp-hour or if you adhere to a 40% discharge level, $6.45 per usable amp-hour.

A Battle Born drop-in lithium battery gives 100 usable amp-hours for $950, or $9.50 per amp-hour.  That's less than 50% more than using an AGM at a 30% discharge.

At 31 lbs (1/3 lighter than a GC2 golf cart battery) your can lift the Battle Born battery in and out by yourself.

If you consider the longer life of a lithium battery there's no contest.  Battle Born has an 8 year full replacement / 10 year partial credit warranty vs. half that life for an AGM.

Lithium doesn't fade out like a lead acid as it discharges.  It's voltage and performance at a 20% charge level is virtually identical to when it's fully charged.

Edited by Lou Schneider

As I said earlier choice is good.  I bought Sam's golf cart batteries (6) on sale for $69 a piece.  The last ones I had lasted 6 years.  Not perfect but good enough for me and John appears happy with his.  Some I am sure are happy with lithium batteries. Deals are also nice.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Lou, I just wish I was younger and just starting out with solar and dry camping and know Id be RVing several more years grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Id go with Lithium in a heartbeat. The future sounds like fun.....

Take care now, always fun sparky chatting with you

John T

23 hours ago, Randyretired said:

As I said earlier choice is good.  I bought Sam's golf cart batteries (6) on sale for $69 a piece.  The last ones I had lasted 6 years.  Not perfect but good enough for me and John appears happy with his.  Some I am sure are happy with lithium batteries. Deals are also nice.

Yep, for the past 20 years I've been happy with several sets of Sam's golf cart batteries, which lasted an average of 5-7 years per set.  But my present set is nearing replacement and I'm considering making the jump to lithium instead of settling for AGM.

The Xscapers 40 ft. event trailer at the Annual Bash was impressive ... 12 Battle Born batteries, a 3 Kw sine wave inverter and MPPT charge controller all behind plexiglass and something like 3 Kw of solar on the roof.  Made my mouth water.

Edited by Lou Schneider

That sounds impressive.  I am finishing installing another 915 watts of solar which will bring us up to 2,000 watts of solar.  Most of our power is used during the day so I think the 6 golf cart batteries will suffice.  I also intend to install a mini split on our Teton and hopefully be able to run it on solar occasionally. 

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

4 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

Yo Pat, I bought some 208 Amp Hour 12 Volt AGM's, Frame Size 4D, 129 lbs each, for $247 picked up at Walmart and they loaded them in my car HOWEVER  a couple weeks later about every vendor including Walmart jumped them up to near $400.

John T

Ha . You really hit right . 

Even at a higher price ( 303 , thanks to a nice discount ) , I didn't have to think about the switch for more than a second . LOL

Goes around , comes around .