Replacing a Coleman Mach squirrel cage

remoandiris

12 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Fan should be up top. Too much noise on bottom. Before I junked mine I put several fans in mine. 

The squirrel cage is easily visible from the bottom.  Just to clarify, this is the squirrel cage that blows the cold air thru the ducting into the coach.  It is NOT the fan that blows the hot air out of the shroud on the top of the RV.

I would pull the shroud off of the top of the AC and look.  Should be some sheet metal to be removed to access the squirrel cage.  

I can't see how you could access the set screw attaching the fan to the motor shaft from the bottom.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

If It is the same model Mach as I have the squirrel  cage is replaced from the top. The insulation in the chamber with the squirrel cage had come loose and was hitting the blower and causing a scraping noise. It is a pain to get the housing apart and I had to move the finned coil to get the motor and blowers out of the housing. I didn't need to remove the cage fron the motor shaft but If it is like the home furnace squirrel cage blower I replaced you need to be sure how far it slides on the motor shaft. I forgot to check before I losened  it so I had to move it a few times until I got it that it didn't scrape the housing when running when I did mt home furnace.

It is probably less than an hours work. There was some of the aluminum foil duct tape on the housing that I had to remove so you might need some of that to seal things up during reassemble.

Pat

2006 Chevy Duramax, DRW, ext cab, Long bed, Reese 18K hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo

Ham radio operator, WA3UOE

52 minutes ago, jpatrickc said:

If It is the same model Mach as I have the squirrel  cage is replaced from the top. The insulation in the chamber with the squirrel cage had come loose and was hitting the blower and causing a scraping noise. It is a pain to get the housing apart and I had to move the finned coil to get the motor and blowers out of the housing. I didn't need to remove the cage fron the motor shaft but If it is like the home furnace squirrel cage blower I replaced you need to be sure how far it slides on the motor shaft. I forgot to check before I losened  it so I had to move it a few times until I got it that it didn't scrape the housing when running when I did mt home furnace.

It is probably less than an hours work. There was some of the aluminum foil duct tape on the housing that I had to remove so you might need some of that to seal things up during reassemble.

Pat

Thanks.  I have to give it a few days for weather to settle.  At least it is not hot.

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

youtube is your friend

I'm glad you said that.  I mentioned in my initial post, I searched youtube and came up with nothing on replacing the squirrel cage on a Mach 1.  Sure, there are vids for other rooftop systems, but it didn't give me anything for the various search parameters I used.  Well, I did a couple more searches and I guess I hit the right keywords.  Found a vid that had most of what I need.  Should be able to do the job once the weather breaks.  

THANKS!!

Edited by remoandiris

About 1 fan or two fans, or two different fans.

Most likely, one motor with the shaft coming out both sides of the motor.  One side goes to the fan for the condenser unit and the other side goes to a squirrel cage fan to circulate the air inside the RV. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On 2/27/2020 at 7:39 PM, Al F said:

About 1 fan or two fans, or two different fans.

Most likely, one motor with the shaft coming out both sides of the motor.  One side goes to the fan for the condenser unit and the other side goes to a squirrel cage fan to circulate the air inside the RV. 

2 different fans, 2 different motors.  

Replaced the squirrel cage this morning.  Took under an hour, including the time to get my tools.  4 phillips head screws holding the exterior A/C shroud, 4 10mm nuts holding the metal cover under the shroud (protects the cooling fins, squirrel cage, and cage motor, etc), and 1 star head screw holding the squirrel cage onto the shaft.

Shaft has a washer and a clip holding the washer in place.  No way to push the squirrel cage too far onto the motor shaft.  Squirrel cage mounting hole is designed to make sure the cage goes on one way.  One end is round and the other is oblong to fit the tip of the shaft.

Hardest part was getting the star head screw back into place just by feel.  Couldn't see it with the cage blades in the way.  At least I didn't drop anything down into the unit or off the roof.