Jump to content

RV Registration


The Kessie's
 Share

Recommended Posts

We have a 2008 5th wheel that has been sitting for 8 years in one spot.  We bought a Class C that we use for traveling.  So Farmer's has been insuring it for the past 8 years

as a MOBILE HOME - with no insurance for driving down the road.  The agent told us that we didn't need to register it because it was not being towed down the road.  SO..now

we want to sell the 5th wheel.  I have read that in Texas (where the registration expired in 2011) they cannot charge you more than $200 for an expired registration...we now

have to register it in order to sell it.  Can anyone offer some information for me?  What is my next step?

 

Thanks,

Diane

kessie2@mac.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The Kessie's said:

We have a 2008 5th wheel that has been sitting for 8 years in one spot.  We bought a Class C that we use for traveling.  So Farmer's has been insuring it for the past 8 years

as a MOBILE HOME - with no insurance for driving down the road.  The agent told us that we didn't need to register it because it was not being towed down the road.  SO..now

we want to sell the 5th wheel.  I have read that in Texas (where the registration expired in 2011) they cannot charge you more than $200 for an expired registration...we now

have to register it in order to sell it.  Can anyone offer some information for me?  What is my next step?

 

Thanks,

Diane

kessie2@mac.com

I've let a travel trailer go unregistered for three years before.  When I went to renew the registration, they had me swear that it hadn't been on the road with it in that time.  I paid for the renewal, a partial amount for the remainder of the year until normal registration came up.  There was no $200 fee for being expired.

If you can find the previous registration papers or the latest renewal notice, take it to the County Tax office and they will take care of it.  If you can't find either of those, take the title so they will have something with a VIN to go on.  Just tell them the trailer has been sitting in one spot for 8 years and hasn't been on the road.

The catch is, you must have it inspected before you can do that.  I just took mine to the nearest inspection location, had it inspected, went and parked it, then went directly to the courthouse to renew.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the fifth wheel is in Texas then that is the place to get it registered. I have never heard of the $200 thing but I have licensed a trailer after it has sat unregistered for several years here in Texas and it is quite simple and no extra fee was charged. I was typing this when the reply above came up and my experience was pretty much the same as his. I had to sign an affidavit that the trailer had not been on the road in the years it was unregistered. If your travel trailer has a gross weight of 4500# or greater it will need a vehicle safety inspection. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

Does a vehicle have to be registered in Texas to be sold? It doesn't in my state and the new owner has 15 days affer they register it to get it inspected.  Also the second the title is signed the registration is void, so the new owner has to go register it before they can take it home. Just trying to educate my self.

I don't think it has to be registered to sell it.  It does have to be inspected before it can be registered, that's why I said it was a "catch".  I suppose the new owner could pay for it, then tow it to get it inspected, then go transfer the title and register it.  With the title and a bill of sale, it should not be a problem if one got pulled over.  I just think it might be easier to sell if it was ready to hit the road and it had a current inspection and current plates on it.  The previous plates are sufficient until the new owner can register it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, packnrat said:

i say get the gov paperwork in order first.

then sell it.

i base this on ca laws. and nobody wants to deal with a sellers passed on headaches.

many a dmv problem has caused a deal to vaporize right there.  word goes never have problems with the tax man, or the dmv.

 

 

Advice based on California Laws - should NOT be offered.  Apples to Oranges!!

The OP is in Texas, has received good advice FOR TEXAS.

Why would I say that?

CA vehicle owners have the option of filing a certificate of Non Operation. $15 the first year, no charge after that.  The vehicle may not be "on the road".  When (if) the owner wishes to register it, you (only) pay the registration fees due for the current year.

HOWEVER - "Non-OP'  does *NOT* apply to trailers!  (Including Mobile Homes). Failure to pay annual registration, will result in past year's fees being due - regardless of who pays them when ownership transfers. (Buyer beware! - but "who pays" can be negotiated).

BTW - My '68 Camaro and two Triumph M/Cs are on Non Operation status.  I receive an annual renewal notice - which indicates "This is not a bill", and the normal registration fee for the year to register them *if* I wish to do so.

~

 

Edited by Pappy Yokum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

CA is very unique. I had a motorcycle accident one year in Aug and could not ride while recooperating. My renewal on my bike came due the next month in Sept. I filed and paid for a Non-Op. The next  year in July I went to registure it so I could ride again. CA DMV made me pay the entire year from the prior Sept even tho I had a Non-Op. 

I had friends who moved to TX from CA and registured their car in TX. Lived there 2 years and then returned to CA. When they went to registure again in CA after moving back CA DMV made them pay for the prior last 2 years. They showed CA DMV that the vehicle was out of State and registured in TX but still were required to pay the previous 2 years  to CA. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

CA is very unique. I had a motorcycle accident one year in Aug and could not ride while recooperating. My renewal on my bike came due the next month in Sept. I filed and paid for a Non-Op. The next  year in July I went to registure it so I could ride again. CA DMV made me pay the entire year from the prior Sept even tho I had a Non-Op. 

I had friends who moved to TX from CA and registured their car in TX. Lived there 2 years and then returned to CA. When they went to registure again in CA after moving back CA DMV made them pay for the prior last 2 years. They showed CA DMV that the vehicle was out of State and registured in TX but still were required to pay the previous 2 years  to CA. 

 

Yep - CA does a "gotcha" if you register *during* the non-op time.  Pay for the full year.  Unless you need the vehicle ASAP, you wait until the registration is due (for the next full year).

Something strange about the registration when your friends moved to TX!  (Were they "officially TX residents?).  Did the same with vehicles registered in South Dakota.  No problems when re-registering (two vehicles) in CA.  Even ended up with the same Driver's License number I had since I was 15 1/2  yrs old (I was 68 at that time, LOL).

Something everyone should remember about DMVs everywhere........they may be *wrong*!!  Also, it's good to know....... CA DMV has a form for *everything* !!   YOU must "be prepared to ask".

Pretty amazing about computer "connections" between the states!  When getting my SD Driver's License - the guy noted I had previously had a CDL (even though I had given that up about 10 years prior!).  Wanted to know if I wanted it again.

Back in CA - I needed to add Restriction 41 (5th wheel under 15,000 pds).  They had no clue what I was talking about - tried to give me a Class A Non commercial test, the MH test.....had to "teach" them all the way. At least 3 different employees!  Of course, adding that meant also taking the Class C, and M1 (MC) license tests.  No big deal....but then-

........ after scoring the tests (100%),  I was watching the guy printing out my "temp" DL - he was printing out a temp for a Non-Commercial Class A. After I clued him in to his error - he had to start over.

By comparison - South Dakota was a 10 minute "pleasure", CA was the same old,  same old - for about an hour (even with an appointment).

BTW - a friend has several antique vehicles.  If you find a year specific license plate, you can have the DMV issue it as your "everyday" plate for the antique car - *unless* the number is still active.

A friend (he was well aware of that) went to his local DMV.  They said it couldn't be none, no way, no how.  He simply went to a different DMV.  Accomplished easily, no grief.

It is what it is.

😉

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/18/2019 at 7:40 PM, Pappy Yokum said:

Advice based on California Laws - should NOT be offered.  Apples to Oranges!!

The OP is in Texas, has received good advice FOR TEXAS.

Why would I say that?

CA vehicle owners have the option of filing a certificate of Non Operation. $15 the first year, no charge after that.  The vehicle may not be "on the road".  When (if) the owner wishes to register it, you (only) pay the registration fees due for the current year.

HOWEVER - "Non-OP'  does *NOT* apply to trailers!  (Including Mobile Homes). Failure to pay annual registration, will result in past year's fees being due - regardless of who pays them when ownership transfers. (Buyer beware! - but "who pays" can be negotiated).

BTW - My '68 Camaro and two Triumph M/Cs are on Non Operation status.  I receive an annual renewal notice - which indicates "This is not a bill", and the normal registration fee for the year to register them *if* I wish to do so.

~

 

sorry you feel my input is invalid.  i was just stating that it is best to be up to date on dmv taxes before selling. only used ca a example. and yes i am using the non opp on a couple bikes right now. as better to not run afoul of the dmv. no matter what state you live in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...